Multiple .conf confusion- SSL Labs Grade B help wanted

Please fill out the fields below so we can help you better. Note: you must provide your domain name to get help. Domain names for issued certificates are all made public in Certificate Transparency logs (e.g. crt.sh | example.com), so withholding your domain name here does not increase secrecy, but only makes it harder for us to provide help.

My domain is: tykaiwy.com

I ran this command: SSL Server Test

It produced this output: This server supports TLS 1.0 and TLS 1.1. Grade capped to B.

My web server is (include version): nginx

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version): Ubuntu 20.10 server

My hosting provider, if applicable, is:

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don't know): yes

I'm using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel): no

The version of my client is (e.g. output of certbot --version or certbot-auto --version if you're using Certbot): 1.17.0

Trying to understand how I can restrict my server to just TLS 1.2 and TLS 1.3. There are multiple files that seem to play a role in SSL configuration, so I'm not sure what needs updated. I have server.conf, options-ssl-nginx.conf, nginx.conf, and ssl-params.conf all of which mention SSL to some degree. nginx -t gave messages duplicate value "TLSv1.3" in /etc/nginx/snippets/ssl-params.conf:1 and "ssl_ciphers" directive is duplicate in /etc/nginx/snippets/ssl-params.conf:2 but commented out what appeared to be duplicate entries. Now nginx -t gives ok and successful but I still get the B from SSL labs.

1 Like

Hi @thelonghop, and welcome to the LE community forum :slight_smile:

Unfortunately, your current issue has nothing to do with this forum.
You are not having an issue with a supported ACME client nor an LE certificate.
[Unless you are talking about another FQDN]
http://tykaiwy.com/ is behind Cloudflare CDN.
The certificate seen in use now is from Cloudflare.
The settings to enable/disable TLSv1.0 or 1.1 would only be configurable via Cloudflare control panel.

Name:      tykaiwy.com
Addresses: 2606:4700:3031::6815:3ebf
           2606:4700:3031::ac43:8aa8

See: SSL Server Test: tykaiwy.com (Powered by Qualys SSL Labs)

2 Likes

Thank you @rg305 I'll look into that. I thought it might related to a setting in the conf files and figured this place would know best what those settings should be. Thanks again, I'll check over there.

2 Likes

It definitely is - just not likely within your servers' configs.
[I'm not a Cloudflare expert but that is a very big business with many users - your answer must be easy to find]

There are a lot of experts here and many may know an answer to your question, but this is not the right place to look for answers to such a vendor specific question:
How can I disable TLSv1.0 in Cloudflare?
Bing returned:
https://community.cloudflare.com/t/disable-tsl1-0/141132

So they have a community too!

2 Likes

Yeah, I had to do some searching but found the setting to set the minimum TLS level. Thanks for the help. Please delete this thread if you can!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.