Certbot certificates

Please fill out the fields below so we can help you better. Note: you must provide your domain name to get help. Domain names for issued certificates are all made public in Certificate Transparency logs (e.g. https://crt.sh/?q=example.com), so withholding your domain name here does not increase secrecy, but only makes it harder for us to provide help.

My domain is:batcavelounge.eu

I ran this command:sudo certbot --nginx -d batcavelounge.eu -d www.batcavelounge.eu

It produced this output: Could not automatically find a matching server block. Set the server_name directive to use the Nginx installer.

My web server is (include version):Nginx 4.2

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version):Linux Ubuntu 14.04 server

My hosting provider, if applicable, is:

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don’t know):yes

I’m using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel):no

Can you show your nginx configuration?

nginx -T

Its all good :slight_smile: it found it, but when i tried to disable ssl3 and added a line i get this from your request with nginx -t

:/etc/nginx/sites-enabled$ sudo nginx -t
nginx: [warn] duplicate value “TLSv1” in /etc/nginx/sites-enabled/batcavelounge.eu:100
nginx: [warn] duplicate value “TLSv1.1” in /etc/nginx/sites-enabled/batcavelounge.eu:100
nginx: [warn] duplicate value “TLSv1.2” in /etc/nginx/sites-enabled/batcavelounge.eu:100
nginx: the configuration file /etc/nginx/nginx.conf syntax is ok
nginx: configuration file /etc/nginx/nginx.conf test is successfu

This is probably because it’s including a file options-ssl-nginx.conf, which already declares such a line.

So i should not worry about it ?

Yes, I believe you don’t have to do it because Certbot is already doing it for you.

I’ve hit the same issue twice now, under similar circumstances.

Let me first state that I have done a thing regarding options-ssl-nginx.conf- no create or edit. Not having a clue to its function, I have no way of invoking it.

But the circumstance of this arising are eerily similar (I have no hard proof as I was not expecting this to happen).

• have many server names to handle (19 total).
  • did an initial certificate with a sub-set of an inital group of 15. Had to set server_names_hash_bucket_size 512;
  • built up this subset a couple of times.
  • later as a couple of other domain DNS entries percolated, tried to add another two, and the error arose.

Any clues to look for?

The error you see is also this one?

Could not automatically find a matching server block. Set the server_name directive to use the Nginx installer.

That is correct;

I have little idea how to set server_name directive. I don’t understand why it initially works, Certbot then generates its own block
server_name [...].net; # managed by Certbot then complains…

Could you show the output of nginx -T as suggested by @_az above?

Edit: Also, what version of Certbot are you running?

yes, file enclosednginxT.txt (10.7 KB)

I am not certain how to extract that version. a sudo certbot -v gave unexpected result, but had interesting snippet
certbot==0.21.1

Basically this was installed today.

Thanks, and could you also provide a log from /var/log/letsencrypt corresponding to a time when the error occurred?

And here it is. Very recent. ran it about an hour ago.

letsencrypt_log.txt (5.1 KB)

Anything of use in the log?

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.