More incoherent FUD

Oh, the horror, DV is evil, etc…
https://www.acmetek.com/blog/godaddy-and-lets-encrypt-the-automated-dv-issue/?utm_content=buffer618d2&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Most of the points have already been addressed, but that doesn’t stop clueless bloggers from making them again, unfortunately.

1 Like

They just discover difference between DV, OV and EV … they learn , they are young …

“GoDaddy last week has begun the process of re-issuing SSL certificates for more than 6,000 customers after a bug was discovered with there DV (Domain Validated) automated registrar’s validation process.”

The good thing is, you know immediately when you can stop reading.

More FUD, in french: https://www.genious-interactive.com/https-bientot-obligatoire

Il existe 3 sortes de certificats :

1. Les certificats auto-signés fournis par Let’s Encrypt – Gratuit
  2. Les certificats « classiques » – 30€ HT/an chez Genious Interactive
    Domain Validation (DV) SSL Certificates
  3. Les certificats « premium » – 560€ HT/an chez Genious Interactive et bientôt 2X moins cher
    Les certificats SSL à validation étendue (EV) – inclus la validation de l’organisation (OV)

Translation:

There are 3 kinds of certificates:

1. Self-signed certificates provided by Let's Encrypt - Free
  2. «Classic» certificates - 30 € HT / year at Genious Interactive
  3. "Premium" certificates - 560 € HT / year at Genious Interactive and soon 2X cheaper
    Extended Validation (SS) Certificates - includes Organizational Validation (OV)

@tdelmas, that doesn’t seem very objectionable, in that the provider actually offers free-of-charge LE integration (thanks!) and doesn’t suggest that there is something wrong or inadequate about LE’s services.

@schoen But they "claim" LE provides "self-signed" certificates.. Which obviously isn't true in the general explanation of "self signed certificates". In the text below it reads:

It is a true certificate, so you are "secure", but it does not bring anything more than a self-signed certificate that everyone can get.

I'm sure it's not qualified as FUD - they probably mean well -See below but at least it isn't correct information IMHO.

Yeah, agreed that the “self-signed” description is inaccurate. @tdelmas, sounds like you are a French speaker; any chance you’d be able to reach out to them for a small correction?

@jsha I'll try contact them in French and update the thread with their answer.

Just for information, the actual wording of the points 1 and 2 is currently really misleading (French version followed by a translation, emphasis by me):

1 . Les certificats auto-signés fournis par Let’s Encrypt – Gratuit

Il est donc gratuit et accessible à tous. Notez cependant qu’il doit être renouvelé tous les 3 mois, mais que de plus en plus d’hébergeurs l’intègrent à leurs offres avec un renouvellement automatisé. C’est un véritable certificat, vous êtes donc « sécurisés », mais il n’apporte rien de plus qu’un certificat auto-signé que tout le monde peut obtenir. En termes d’image et de sérieux, ça n’apporte rien. Ce type certificat est parfait pour les sites personnels (type blog par exemple).

2 . Les certificats « classiques » – 30€ HT/an chez Genious Interactive

Ce certificat est peu cher et est délivré par un organisme de certification. C’est donc un plus pour votre image et pour rassurer le consommateur. En cliquant sur le seau de site sécurisé (le cadenas), vous verrez apparaître les informations vérifiées par l’Autorité de certification (AC). Vous profitez donc de la sécurité du SSL et rassurez vos consommateurs à moindre coût.

Translation:

1 . Self-signed certificates provided by Let's Encrypt - Free

It is therefore free and accessible to all. Note however that it must be renewed every 3 months, but that more and more hosts integrate it to their offers with an automated renewal. It is a true certificate, so you are "secure", but it does not bring anything more than a self-signed certificate that everyone can get. In terms of image and seriousness, it brings nothing. This type certificate is perfect for personal sites (like blog type).

2 . "Classic" certificates - 30 € HT / year at Genious Interactive

This certificate is inexpensive and is issued by a certification authority. It is therefore a plus for your image and to reassure the consumer. By clicking on the padlock, you will see the information checked by the Certification Authority (CA). You benefit from the security of SSL and reassure your consumers at low cost.

Ah, I see. You’re right, the “does not bring anything more…” line is also very misleading. Thanks for reaching out!

2 Likes

If you put the two beneath them like that, it sure looks like they try to devaluate LE so they can ask € 30 a year for a non-LE DV certificate, which obviously has exactly the same pro’s and cons as a LE certificate.

1 Like

Hmmm, I guess I imagined “auto-signés” meant “auto-signed” rather than “self-signed”. Wiktionary suggests that “auto-” could have both meanings in French, but search results for “auto-signé” show it used in the sense of “self-signed” and not “auto-signed”. Also, I agree that the other text draws a distinction that’s unclear or inaccurate.

@schoen yes, “auto-” is ambiguous in French, but in the context of certificate, everywhere I saw auto-signé" it meant “self-signed” and not “automatically-signed”. (Maybe somebody could corroborate or contradict this?). But sadly the context of the article leave little doubt about the meaning in this case.

That makes sense. Thanks for the additional information!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.