Max retries exceeded with url: /directory

My domain is: malerjakt-admin.no
I ran this command: sudo /usr/bin/certbot renew (This run daily with crontab)
It produced this output:

Saving debug log to /var/log/letsencrypt/letsencrypt.log

Processing /etc/letsencrypt/renewal/malerjakt-admin.no.conf

Cert is due for renewal, auto-renewing...
Starting new HTTPS connection (1): acme-v01.api.letsencrypt.org

Attempting to renew cert from /etc/letsencrypt/renewal/malerjakt-admin.no.conf produced an unexpected error: HTTPSConnectionPool(host='acme-v01.api.letsencrypt.org', port=443): Max retries exceeded with url: /directory (Caused by NewConnectionError('<requests.packages.urllib3.connection.VerifiedHTTPSConnection object at 0x7f266c93bad0>: Failed to establish a new connection: [Errno -2] Name or service not known',)). Skipping.

All renewal attempts failed. The following certs could not be renewed:
/etc/letsencrypt/live/malerjakt-admin.no/fullchain.pem (failure)
1 renew failure(s), 0 parse failure(s)

My web server: nginx/1.10.0 (Ubuntu)
The operating system: Ubuntu 16.04 xenial
My hosting provider: hetzner.com
I can login to a root shell: yes
I'm using a control panel: no
The version of my client is: certbot 0.10.2

2 Likes

ACMEv1 is fully deprecated and all certificates issued with that version of the API have expired and cannot be renewed using that endpoint. The Let's Encrypt team is continuing to deprecate the service and it is no longer returning an error message.

If you've been attempting to use ACMEv1 your logs would previously include a link to this thread and the included error message:

This thread and many others on the forum can help you upgrade your clients to use ACMEv2 and issue a new certificate.

9 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.