Internationalized Domain Names

Is there going to be support for that?

8 Likes

If anything, all the support you should need should be in the client, to automatically perform the punycode (xnā€“) transformation.

3 Likes

Weā€™re still deciding whether we can include this for launch. The answer is probably no, because there are some tricky issues that need to be figured out, particularly with homoglyphs. We would like to support them eventually.

4 Likes

Ah, but that would be a policy decision on the server side. At launch, you could return an error document saying ā€œname not allowedā€ etc.

1 Like

Only need support for the danish ƦĆøĆ„ letters :smile:

1 Like

I am also very interested in Internationalized Domain Names support.

Please add them as soon as possible ;).

1 Like

@Spambuster

Then, what about Swedish letters? And German letters? :slight_smile:

I live in France, where we have another set of accented letters. You donā€™t need to go very far before the need increases almost logarithmic.

The world grew so much with the global adoption of the Internet. :wink:

2 Likes

@Biker: I think @Spambuster was just joking around. :wink:

1 Like

Thatā€™s how I read his message as well. Iā€™ve added a few smilies to indicate that I was in the same mood.

2 Likes

They should get it too :smile:

1 Like

My brazilian domain havenā€™t accents, just http://vitree.com.br running with Node.js Angular.js MEAN.io application.

It has support to TLS digital certificated?

If not, how long to be released?

That's not an internationalized domain name (IDN).

IDN: Internationalized domain name - Wikipedia
Punycode: Punycode - Wikipedia

2 Likes

@fernandosantucci, as @NOYB says, thatā€™s a different issue and not a problem for you. :smile:

Aqui se fala dos nomes de domĆ­nio internacionalizados (ou seja, com acentuaĆ§Ć£o grĆ”fica ou conjunto de caracteres nĆ£o-ASCII), e nĆ£o dos internacionais (tais como .br).

1 Like

I think thŠ°t IDNs will not be implemented for Š° while, for obvious reŠ°sons thŠ°t you cŠ°n eŠ°sily present Š° domŠ°in thŠ°t looks like one Š° bank has Š°nd get Š° certificŠ°te issued.

I Š°m quite confident thŠ°t you hŠ°venā€™t noticed that Š°ll of my Aā€™s in the previous Š°nd this sentence Š°re Cyrillic Aā€™s.

CompŠ°rison

• Common A: Š°
  • Cyrillic A: Š°

Ā
Ā
Ā
Ā
Ā
Ā
Ā
Ā
Ā
Ā
Ā
Ā
Ā

Got you Š°gŠ°in, this is a reŠ°l compŠ°rison between the common A Š°nd the Cyrillic A.
Common: a
Cyrillic: Š°

By the way, what are the issues exactly? I can understand there can be issues with the client (inputing the '+e Ć© instead of the native Ć©). But if I input it in the xnā€“* form (as I still have to do for most mail clients anywayā€¦), it should look like just like a regular domain name to the CA.

As @jsha previously pointed out the main concern is homoglyphs, characters that visually look alike but have different code points. This basically means somebody might be able to create a domain name that looks exactly like a high-value domain name but if you did a string comparison between the two domains they wouldnā€™t match and could point to two different websites.

This means we could accidentally issue a certificate for a domain that looks like google.com even though that name is already part of a high-value anti-phishing blacklist.

(Wikipedia has a pretty good article on duplicate unicode characters, which are part of the concern, here ā€“ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duplicate_characters_in_Unicode)

4 Likes

This is possibly a stupid question, but do the newer TLDā€™s such as .app .docs .beer etc fall under ā€œinternationalā€ domains as well? Or will the be supported at launch? I have a few domains that utilize some of the new TLDs that were introduced this year.

Sorry, I just saw the reply here Do You Support Free Domains stating they should be supported at launch.

@Taubin, thatā€™s right! Thereā€™s a distinction between international domain names (fully supported) and internationalized domain names (not currently supported). The international domain names are those under a foreign-based country-code top-level domain (like .de, .ru, .za, .uk) and the internationalized domain names are those that contain a non-ASCII character (like Ļ€Ī±ĻĪ¬Ī“ĪµĪ¹Ī³Ī¼Ī±.com or 例子.com).

3 Likes

@Taubin

Also a couple of good Wikipedia page links that may assist with clarifying the Internationalized Domain Names (IDN) distinction are provided earlier in this thread.

1 Like

What about internationalized domain names under sensible ccTLDs which do not allow homoglyphs?

Like it is not possible to register Š°bc.de or Š°bc.fi (Š°bc.de or Š°bc.fi) containing a Cyrillic a as these ccTLDs accept only a limited set of accented letters and such but not symbols, other scripts or anything like that.

For this kind of ccTLDs there are no need for extra homoglyph tests, as registry authorities have prevented them altogether.