Installation without snap?

Hi!

I need some help on the installation of Certbot. A little time ago in the page were instructions about how to install Certbot without using snap but now that instructions are not there available. I appreciate any help, thanks!

Giampaolo

My OS: Ubuntu 18
Server: Nginx

2 Likes
Welcome to the Let's Encrypt Community

:slightly_smiling_face:

If you're suffering from the deprecation of certbot-auto and looking for other means of installing certbot, please follow this link:

1 Like

That documentation page proooobably needs some updating, as it doesn't mention the deprecation of certbot-auto at all..

Personally, I would say the certbot team shouldn't unroll any major event before every aspect of the prerequisite list is taken care of, including all and every documentation..

2 Likes

You're right. bmw mentioned this will change soon.

1 Like

Yeah, no offence, I know it's a small team and they are doing their best, but "it will change soon" just isn't good enough IMHO. And asking help from the Community also goes only so far.. If PRs are lingering and lingering until sint-juttemis, that's not very encouraging. "thank you, but we'll probably won't look at this again until who knows when.."

2 Likes

We're of like mind my friend.

Function before fashion is fine, but documentation is not a fashion statement and shouldn't take a backseat to development.

As a testament to this, I was just awarded two Popular Link badges in 24 hours. Both popular links are for posts in the same topic. Want to guess what the topic is about?

4 Likes

You question might already have been answered, but if not, using the standard
sudo apt-get install certbot -y
Will install certbot, and
sudo certbot certonly—nginx
Will do it for you. (I’ve only tested this on Debian, but it should be basically identical, since they both use apt)

1 Like

Good thought, but that won't install the certificate.

Probably better to use:

sudo certbot run --nginx --keep

I used run so that the nginx installer would install the certificate and added --keep to prevent acquisition of duplicate certificates.

1 Like

That usually works for me :thinking:

1 Like

You might have a --deploy-hook in place with something like nginx -s reload (which is perfectly fine). :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

As long as the web server gets restarted within 30 days, it will continue to work.
So anything like a weekly web server reload cron would be why this "works" (unintentionally).

1 Like

But only for renewals. certonly obviously would require a manual installation the first time :wink:

2 Likes

Absolutely right. :slightly_smiling_face:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.