Install module on snap-based certbot installations

Hi,

I've started to receive this warning at each certbot-auto invocation:

Your system is not supported by certbot-auto anymore.
Certbot will no longer receive updates.
Please visit https://certbot.eff.org/ to check for other alternatives.

The documentation seems to recommend to install certbot through snap.

If I reinstall certbot through snap, how can I install modules ? I currently use certbot-pdns for dns-based verifications.

Currently, I install it this way: /opt/eff.org/certbot/venv/bin/pip -q install certbot-pdns (I've made a wrapper around the certbot-auto script that reinstall it automatically if certbot was self-updated).

I know the way I install it is not supported. So, what are the supported method to install modules when certbot is installed with snap?

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version): Debian 10

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don't know): Yes

I'm using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel): No

The version of my client is (e.g. output of certbot --version or certbot-auto --version if you're using Certbot): certbot 1.9.0

1 Like

I guess it should be possible to build a snap for third-party plugins. There's a pretty good README on the certbot Github repository:

Ideally, the author of the PDNS plugin would build a snap for their plugin, but you could do it yourself too.

Note: I don't have experience with snap at all, so there might be more easy methods than building your own snap for the plugin. I just don't know :stuck_out_tongue:

By the way, the certbot-pdns plugin hasn't been updated for over 2,5 years now. I'm guessing the author probably doesn't want to go through the hassle of setting up a snap. On the other hand: there's probably not going to be any updates, so if you build the snap once, you're good to go :stuck_out_tongue:

Another approach might be to migrate your certbot-pdns plugin to the certbot-dns-rfc2136 plugin, which is available as an official snap. PowerDNS seems to support RFC2136 since version 3.4.0.

3 Likes

Thanks, the dns-rfc2136 plugin works like a charm for my case :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.