Install on mail server

My operating system is (include version):centos 6.7

My web server is (include version): Apache

My hosting provider, if applicable, is: bluehost

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don’t know): yes

I’m using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel): CPanel

I want to secure my emails, I have installed a certificate for my domain name, and it appears to work well, however I have no idea where to start to enable the certificate on my mail server.

could someone please walk me through this.

Things to remember: the hostname of the mail server as entered in your clients should correspond with (on of) the hostname(s) in the certificate.

Further more, it isn’t necessary for outgoing e-mail to install a certificate.

My mail client, mail.app on Mac OS X (or iPhone) won’t connect to the mail server… When I try mail.mydomain as the incoming server, it works but uses a bluehost certificate and not my own…

“Won’t connect”, “the mail server”, “not my own”.

You’re giving is very little to work with I’m afraid, as my crystal ball just fell yesterday and is broken.

Like Osiris, I lack a functioning crystal ball. However, I do have some web hosting accounts which come with free email.

In my experience the server configuration for the web host email service is not under the control of individual customers. Instead it is centrally managed by the web hosting company and just some CNAMEs are added to make mail.example.com work for a customer who owns example.com

There is often an option to use some different name (for example suppose the web host is contoso-isp.example, they might allow you to connect to mail.contoso-isp.example, but still presenting credentials specific to your account with them) and that name is included in the certificate the server presents. But the nice mail.example.com name using a CNAME is not on the certificate.

So, there is a good chance ordinary Bluehost customers can’t do anything about this. But it may be worth presenting as a request for the Bluehost service to be improved some day.

thanks guys,

I am not very proficient in server admin, Ive just purchased a VPS and discovered that a whole lot of work is required to get things working as they did under a shared hosting account.

I have the mail working now… I’ve just TRUSTED the default BlueHost wildcard SSL in my mail client, rather than bang my head against a wall try to get my mail client connecting through my my own domain SSL.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.