I have reached the limits for testing... what now?

My domain is:
Private because of private customer data
I ran this command:
sudo certbot --apache
It produced this output:
An unexpected error occurred: There were too many requests of a given type :: Error finalizing order :: too many certificates already issued for exact set of domains: privatedomainname: see https://letsencrypt.org/docs/rate-limits/
My web server is (include version):
Apache/2.4.29 (Ubuntu)

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version):
Ubuntu 18.04

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don’t know):
Yes

Hello there,
Yesterday, I was using Let’s Encrypt on my Ubuntu 18.04 LTS (apache) server with certbot.
I was testing the SSL certificates how it works, because I never did it before. And unfortunately, I have reached the limit.

I have 2 different domainnames. One is live and one is for testing.

I am testing my API for a customer. It requires an SSL so the front-end can get responses from the API. I got a lot of problems so I switched the domainnames a lot. So I thought I had to delete and create a new SSL on every switch. And unfortunately, I didn’t read it has ratelimits.

Is it possible for having more than 5 rate-limits? Or is there a different solution? I can’t wait 7days and I have to keep testing.

Hi,

If you are using that domain for testing, you could use certbot's staging server which have a lot higher rate limits (although not trusted)

For now (on production server), you'll need to wait (at most) 7 days until the rate limit refreshes.

Thank you

1 Like

Temporarily add a new subdomain to your certificate.

But not for testing!!!

As @stevenzhu pointed out, testing should be done on the staging server! See also: Staging Environment - Let's Encrypt

2 Likes

Thanks for the replies.

I guess then I have to wait 7 days. The front-end will only accept valid certificates. So the staging environment will be no use.

Thanks for the help!

If you can reorganize your certificates so that they don’t include that exact combination of names, you can get a production certificate immediately (for example, combining certificates that are current separate, or separating certificates that are current combined). But that might not be your preferred solution.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.