HTTP-01 challenge to a different folder than /.well-known/acme-challenge/

I am setting up a GeoDNS SSL validation system for my domain names. It turned out that some hosts have some limitations with the way they setup the HTTP-01 challenge within their plesk setup. Allegedly it will not honor redirect rules for http://<YOUR_DOMAIN>/.well-known/acme-challenge/<TOKEN> to go back to the apex.

Is there an undocumented mechanism to have the challenge be made over a different folder than /.well-known/acme-challenge/?

If not, this should surely be a top feature request.

No, there is not, and there will not be. The /.well-known/acme-challenge path is required by the relevant RFCs.

5 Likes

Yes, it's called redirection.
But you must first listen to that path and then you can redirect it to whatever path you prefer.

2 Likes

I tried doing this in .htaccess

RewriteEngine   On
RewriteCond     %{REQUEST_URI}   ^/.well-known/           [NC]
RewriteCond     %{HTTP_HOST}     ^www.mydomain.([^.]+)?$   [NC]
RewriteRule     (.*)             http://mydomain.%1/$1     [R=301,L]

but my host (metanet.ch) stated:

This setup you are trying to implement is not possible on our server because there is a higher-ranking (serverwide) RewriteRule regarding the .well-known/ folder of any domain which is needed for the SSLit/Let's Encrypt plugin

They are using a plesk UI setup on a nginx server proxied through apache.

Now I am looking into maybe instead implementing a DNS-01 challenge or is there a better way for me to do this?

I am using simpledns.plus to resolve DNS lookups, and will be using the GeoDNS plugin to query the calls to the proper server.

Longshot...
But try changing:

to the more specific:
^/.well-known/acme-challenge/
OR
your.domain/.well-known/acme-challenge/

2 Likes

That sounds like they support a LetsEncrypt integration themselves, in a manner that prohibits their clients from using ACME.

I would ask them if it is possible to leverage their LetsEncrypt plugin for your needs. If not, you will have to use the DNS-01 challenge, as their server rules will take priority against any redirect or location rules you try to implement.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.