How to tell software and OS

How can I tell what software and OS my webhost is using?

I looked at the server info in cpanel and it shows an Apache version and OS as linux. But I am not sure of specifics

It sounds like you have the answer: Your software is Apache (with cPanel), and your OS is Linux. Note that you will probably want to use the cPanel plugin for Let’s Encrypt, rather than Certbot.

Was there other information about your software and OS you were looking for?

I can not find the cpanel plugin for letsencrypt. I am not sure if my web host allows access to install cpanel plugins.

I am looking for the correct software to use letsencrypt on my weh site

Here’s the plugin: https://documentation.cpanel.net/display/CKB/The+Let’s+Encrypt+Plugin. You should ask your hosting provider if they will allow you to install that. If not, I’m afraid the only option is to manually issue and install every 60 days, which is a hassle.

Who is your hosting provider?

My hosting provider is Interserver dot net

I noticed that the script needs to be run as root user. I am pretty sure interserver does not allow that
How can I tell?

This seems to indicate your web hosting provider supports AutoSSL in cPanel. Do you see the options mentioned at the bottom of that article in your control panel?

It looks like they are running RedHat Linux. But I do not see the letsencrypt for that.
cat /proc/version
Linux version 3.10.0-427.18.2.lve1.4.24.el7.x86_64 (mockbuild@build.cloudlinux.com) (gcc version 4.8.5 20150623 (Red Hat 4.8.5-4) (GCC) ) #1 SMP Tue Oct 25 17:18:26 EDT 2016

You would not need the certbot instructions for your OS in this case. The cPanel plugin, i.e. AutoSSL, is all you need. The instructions to enable this are under the “Enabling AutoSSL” heading of that article. If you don’t have that option available, I’d recommend contacting support - it does sound like that should be available for all users.

I do not see a certbot option for RedHat. I did try the instructions under “other unix” and got this error
./certbot-auto
"sudo" is not available, will use “su” for installation steps…
Sorry, I don’t know how to bootstrap Certbot on your operating system!

You will need to bootstrap, configure virtualenv, and run pip install manually.
Please see https://letsencrypt.readthedocs.org/en/latest/contributing.html#prerequisites
for more info.

You do not need certbot. certbot is an ACME client - ACME being the protocol that powers Let's Encrypt. cPanel comes with its own ACME client - as part of AutoSSL.

Your host claims to support AutoSSL. To enable it, you need to follow these instructions:

Enabling AutoSSL

AutoSSL is already available in all cPanels from InterServer. To enable this great feature, simply browse under the SSL/TLS heading, then click on Manage AutoSSL. The page that loads up will have two options, one to enable and one to disable the feature. Simply click enable and press save. This is all that is needed for an excellent first layer of security for all your websites.

I did not see the Manage AutoSSL under cpanel, SSL/TLS
But There is a Manage SSL sites

I clicked on that but it gives me this error:
Install an SSL Website
Note: You do not have a dedicated IP address. As a result, web browsers that do not support SNI will probably give false security warnings to your users when they access any of your SSL websites. Microsoft® Internet Explorer™ on Windows XP™ is the most widely used web browser that does not support SNI.

@what2use I’m pretty sure that’s only a warning, not an error. It should be possible to continue in spite of it.

It this does work, then will my joomla site still work even though the domain has an SSL ?

Joomla sites can work over HTTPS. But in some cases, when you turn on HTTPS for a site, the secure version of the site isn’t configured by default in the same way that the original insecure version was (for example, you might see the web server “It worked!” page instead of your own site content), and you might have to make additional web server configuration changes to get it to work.

In the case of a control panel, they are really trying to automate as much as possible of the configuration for you, so this kind of problem is comparatively unlikely.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.