How to stop Let's Encrypt validation server check my /.well-known/acme-challenge/

Hi, Sorry if this question already asked before, but I can't found solution for my issue.

My domain is: stmariapku.sch.id
My web server is (include version): Apache
My hosting provider is: Google Cloud Run

Previously I'm using self hosted Virtualmin and using LetsEncrypt SSL, then moved my site to Cloud Run. But Let's Encrypt validation server still check my /.well-known/acme-challenge regularly every 30minutes, even after I delete my previous VPS.
This make my Google Cloud Run cost increased.

Do you know how to stop the LetsEncrypt engine checking my domain?
Because currently i'm not using Lets Encrypt SSL anymore.

Thank you for the help.

Welcome to the community @zemmyindrapatih

Is the value after .well-known/acme-challenge/ always the same?

This is almost certainly some program constantly requesting a new certificate. Could there be some sort of cron job, or systemd timer, or similar that is making repeated requests?

For a typical request of a new cert, the Let's Encrypt server will make 4 requests to your server from different locations around the globe. You will see these at roughly the same time with the same challenge value just with different originating IP addresses. If you redirect these requests (like you do with 302) you will see more requests for the redirected object.

If you have not already found the cause, can you show more of the logs which show these requests? At least show all of the Let's Encrypt requests for more than 30 minutes so we can see two groupings. Thanks.

3 Likes

Which ACME client did you use?
Was the ACME client completely uninstalled?

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.