How to remove email notifications?

Probably a stupid question. In July of 2020, I took a position as an IT Manager (glorified Desktop support) at a Marketing Agency. They had a Linode server that was getting its certs from Certbot, would send the normal email notifications when it was time to renew. They moved that server from Linode to AWS, the IP and server are no longer available. I still get certbot renew failure emails from this IP thats no longer valid. Is there a way to shut these off? I have no way of getting back into that server. Any assistance helps. If no way to turn it off, I'll just tell my admin to delete the emails. Thanks.

1 Like

Hello @Phoqus,

In the email you received you should have a link to unsubscribe BUT, before using that link keep in mind that if you unsubscribe the email address you won't receive any notification for any other certificates issued with that account and once unsubscribed you can't use the same email address in that account so you should use another email address.

More info here:

Cheers,
sahsanu

1 Like

Hey Sahsanu,

These are the types of emails I am receiving:

On 1/31/21, 6:00 PM, "Cron Daemon" <[root@ip-edited.internal](mailto:root@ip-edited.internal)> wrote:

/bin/sh: 1: 1: not found
1 Like

I've edited your post to remove the mail signature.

Also, I don't know if that is correct because the attached info doesn't show properly but is this the message you are receiving in the mail?

On 1/31/21, 6:00 PM, "Cron Daemon" <[root@ip-edited.internal](mailto:root@ip-edited.internal)> wrote:
/bin/sh: 1: 1: not found

Because if that is the message then it is not being sent by Let's Encrypt but a cron job in the old server and if you have no control over it you can't modify it, maybe you could talk to the hoster just in case they can contact to the new owner but it is strange that the machine has not been purged and recreated. Are you sure the mails are sent from the old server and not the new one?

Anyway, those mails are not being sent by Let's Encrypt.

Cheers,
sahsanu

2 Likes

Hey Sahsanu,

Thanks for the reply and the editing, I was replying through an email.

I've done some reading into Cron Jobs. So the backstory behind this server (everything was created and changed before my time with this Agency) is that it was hosted through AWS. The cron emails were formatted as "cron root@websitedomain 1 certbot renew, /bin/sh/ 1: 1: not found" but the server was moved to Linode.com. Now the emails come as "cron root@IP-of-bad-server 1 certbot renew, /bin/sh/ 1: 1: not found". The server IP is from an instance that has been deleted. So it sounds like I need to get a hold of whoever holds that AWS account and have them remove email notifications towards our Agency web email?

1 Like

It is really strange that if you deleted the server it is still online and sending mails...

You can try.

2 Likes

In any case it's not something Let's Encrypt (or we) can help you with, really.

1 Like

If the old instance is literally no longer used, it might be good to focus on getting it shut down (for example, because otherwise someone is probably still getting billed for it by Linode, and also it may not be getting security updates to its software and someone might eventually be able to break into it).

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.