How to install a virtual host listening on port 80

Please fill out the fields below so we can help you better. Note: you must provide your domain name to get help. Domain names for issued certificates are all made public in Certificate Transparency logs (e.g. https://crt.sh/?q=example.com), so withholding your domain name here does not increase secrecy, but only makes it harder for us to provide help.

My domain is: Goravani.com

I ran this command: sudo certbot --apache

It produced this output: I need to install a virtual host listening on port 80… this was an error message

My web server is (include version): Apache 2.4 and MAMP Pro on MacOSX

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version): MacOSX 15.5 Catalina latest

My hosting provider, if applicable, is: myself, MacMini hosting 5 websites

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don’t know): Yes

I’m using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel): MAMP Pro latest version, Apache

The version of my client is (e.g. output of certbot --version or certbot-auto --version if you’re using Certbot): Certbot 1.6.0

I am running Certbot to try to get certificates, and it is coming up with red type and an error message that says that I need to have a virtual host listening on port 80… the control panel I use does not seem to have anything to directly address this… it only has hosts that you set up , which are your websites… I’ve done that and they are working… I am using Dynamic Addressing through NO-IP.com, and I wonder if that is an issue… not having static IP’s… I sure hope I can make certbot work and get certificates through lets encrypt… I will read the other posts similar to this one.

1 Like

Hi,

The error message is due to a different configuration. You are using MAMP (which i think is a integrated solution) than regular Apache or Nginx. It’s perfectly normal to have these error messages, and maybe you can try the below tutorial and see if that works.

When you are using default HTTPD, it’s going to check the configuration, but it might not be in the default location. In this case, you can use webroot, which only require you to know the location where your files are being served.

Warning and disclaimer: That tutorial is from internet.

P.S. In that way, you might want to reload/restart your web server every two months to make sure MAMP read your certificate correctly. There are ways to reload it after a certificate update is done, but i’m not sure how effective it is. https://stackoverflow.com/questions/17570010/how-start-stop-mamp-pro-using-command-line

Thank you

2 Likes

I looked at the tutorial and it seems right on. I will try it and see if I get to the happy destination.

2 Likes

I followed your posted link to doing lets encrypt with MAMP and it went great, got my certificates.

Thank you very much for posting that.

Dan

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.