How to find existing certificates

I had my account suspended from my hosting org and had to recreate it. I have no access to my old account so cannot export anything from there. Sidenote: I have virtually no idea what I’m doing. Thanks, in advance.

My domain is: industryus.ca

I ran this command:

It produced this output:

My web server is (include version):

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version):

My hosting provider, if applicable, is: HELIOHOST

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don’t know): I don’t know

I’m using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel): I don’t know

While you could locate the certificates themselves on the certificate transparency logs (such as https://crt.sh), you won’t be able to use them without the corresponding private key, which would have been stored on your old hosting account. Without access to that, you’ll really just have to start over and issue a new certificate like you did the first time.

Thanks. I guess that means I’m re-paying, as well?

Thanks, again.

Let’s Encrypt certificates are free. Did you initially obtain your certificate from Let’s Encrypt, or a commercial CA?

According to this, HelioHost provides cPanel’s AutoSSL (which may give you Let’s Encrypt or cPanel certificates) free of charge.

However, your site is currently flagged as unsafe by Google Safe Browsing. You’ll have to resolve that before you’ll be able to get a replacement certificate from Let’s Encrypt.

1 Like

Thanks. I don’t actually recall how I did this in the first place and I’m not seeing any “Let’s Encrypt” anything anywhere on HelioHost. I see, when I check that status of my domains in SSL, that I have a bunch that are “self-signed” and choosing “purchase certificate” suggests the price is between 9 and $216.

Also, I’ve done the google steps to verify ownership but my site still flags as unsafe.

I am super-confused. Thanks for trying to help.

If it's an option for you, you might want to consider a different web hosting provider, since this charge is entirely imposed by the hosting provider, and there are literally dozens of hosting providers that provide certificates via Let's Encrypt and other CAs at no charge at all.

Whether or not your current hosting provider is using Let's Encrypt certificates, the $9-$216 charges that you're seeing listed in your interface aren't imposed by us, collected by us, or mandated by us. Our certificates always cost $0, at least from our end.

My understanding (which may be wrong) is that AutoSSL will try to obtain a free certificate for your site automatically, without any action required on your part.

However, Let's Encrypt won't issue a certificate to you while your domain remains on the Google Safe Browsing list. I guess this could be causing AutoSSL to fail.

You'll need to get your domain off that list, in any case. Sorry I don't have much advice to offer as to how you should go about that, as I've never needed to do it myself, but based on what little I've read...

...that does indeed seem to be the first step in the process. The next step is to check the security issues report to see what Google thinks the problem is, fix it, and request a review.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.