How to disable account without configuration

Please fill out the fields below so we can help you better. Note: you must provide your domain name to get help. Domain names for issued certificates are all made public in Certificate Transparency logs (e.g. crt.sh | example.com), so withholding your domain name here does not increase secrecy, but only makes it harder for us to provide help.

My domain is: cerebro.ruehlmann-schoch.de

I ran this command: no command used

It produced this output: no output

My web server is (include version): Postfix

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version): Debian 12

My hosting provider, if applicable, is:

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don't know): yes and no

I'm using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel): no

The version of my client is (e.g. output of certbot --version or certbot-auto --version if you're using Certbot): certbot 2.1.0

I had a mail server (cerebro.tld.de) that encrypted SSL using a letsencrypt certificate. Unfortunately, this server had to move and I set up a new mail server (cerebro2.tld.de). This new mail server works without any problems, and renewing the certificate also works without any problems. Today I received the expiry email from the expiry bot for the old mail server. Unfortunately I no longer have the Letsencrypt configuration of the old server. How can I terminate the old letsencrypt registration without knowing the account?

Kind regards Leuron

1 Like

You can't, as all account updates including deactivation would require the private key of said account. Without the private key to sign the requests, it won't be possible to modify anything.

That said, the expiry bot will just email twice and after that, no emails should be send. The old account will get disabled eventually once Let's Encrypt decides to do some kind of "disable old and unused accounts" run. Not sure if something like that is done regularly though. It's no problem if the old account doesn't get disabled.. Without the private key, nobody can do anything with it anyway.

3 Likes

Thanks for your answer, topic can be marked as resolved.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.