How do you install this as a wildcard?

I have everything installed correctly and have followed the tutorial here:

I have also downloaded the DigitalOcean DNS plugin.

Currently the only thing I can do is run sudo certbot, in which it just looks at my virtual hosts and asks me which domain I want to install an SSL for.

How can I do this for a Wildcard however?

It would make sense to follow this tutorial:
https://certbot-dns-digitalocean.readthedocs.io/en/stable/

However, that just returns the following error:

My Command
certbot certonly \ --dns-digitalocean \ --dns-digitalocean-credentials ~/.secrets/certbot/digitalocean.ini \ --dns-digitalocean-propagation-seconds 60 \ -d *.example.com

Error
certbot: error: unrecognized arguments: --dns-digitalocean --dns-digitalocean-credentials /home/hello/.secrets/certbot/digitalocean.ini --dns-digitalocean-propagation-seconds 60 -d *.example.com

How could I get this to work?

I have the .ini files and everything set up, I've run this on another server with the exact same setup (but have just forgotten the Certbot command used for wildcards - tutorial does not work).

I am using NGINX with Ubuntu 20.04

Thanks!

Those backslashes are only used to continue a line of commands on the command line to the line directly below it, separated by a "enter", so you can have one command span over multiple lines. You should not include those backslashes when you "rewrite" the command into a single, continuous line without any enters in it.

Also, you're talking about "installing" a certificate, but you're using certonly. Note that certonly will only give you the certificate without installing it. Hence the name "cert only" as in, "only a certificate".

My bad, thanks - works now!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.