How do I remove a certificate

The certificate is no longer needed.

Please fill out the fields below so we can help you better. Note: you must provide your domain name to get help. Domain names for issued certificates are all made public in Certificate Transparency logs (e.g. https://crt.sh/?q=example.com), so withholding your domain name here does not increase secrecy, but only makes it harder for us to provide help.

My domain is:

I ran this command:

It produced this output:

My web server is (include version):

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version):

My hosting provider, if applicable, is:

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don’t know):

I’m using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel):

The version of my client is (e.g. output of certbot --version or certbot-auto --version if you’re using Certbot):

1 Like

You can simply delete the entire certificate.
Delete the private key and matching public certs along with any specific use of them.

If you are using certbot, you can issue a delete command to have it do the first two parts for you.
Syntax:
certbot delete --cert-name example.com
[so you will need to know the exact cert-name - not the specific FQDN(or domain name) within the cert]
[you can get the cert names with: certbot certificates]

If you use another ACME client, you should review their documentation for a comparable command.

It is always preferable to use the ACME client to remove the cert itself than trying to do so manually.

3 Likes

I have deleted the certificate. Acme is still trying to renew the certificate.

I do not have “certbot”. How do I install certbot?

1 Like

Which ACME client are you using? Exactly what steps did you use to delete the certificate? What's "Acme"? How is it configured to renew the certificate?

You don't need to install Certbot. You need to use whatever the supported method is for the software and configuration you are using.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.