Had to Reinstall but states there are too many certificates

Please fill out the fields below so we can help you better. Note: you must provide your domain name to get help. Domain names for issued certificates are all made public in Certificate Transparency logs (e.g. crt.sh | cloud.eecoips.com), so withholding your domain name here does not increase secrecy, but only makes it harder for us to provide help.

My domain is: cloud.eecoips.com

My web server is (include version): Apache 2.4

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version): ClearOS 7.9

The version of my client is (e.g. output of certbot --version or certbot-auto --version if you're using Certbot): 1.11.0

I run a ClearOS 7 for my staging network and seems that when I try to add a certificate for staging.eecoips.com, I get this error:

Saving debug log to /var/log/letsencrypt/letsencrypt.log
Plugins selected: Authenticator standalone, Installer None
Starting new HTTPS connection (1): acme-v02.api.letsencrypt.org
Requesting a certificate for cloud.eecoips.com
An unexpected error occurred:
There were too many requests of a given type :: Error creating new order :: too many certificates already issued for exact set of domains: cloud.eecoips.com: see Rate Limits - Let's Encrypt
Please see the logfiles in /var/log/letsencrypt for more details.

I know I created too many certs trying to fix this. Is there a way to remove these unused certs from Let's Encypt so I am able to create the proper one. I did fix the issue, just that I exceeded the amount. Login to Let's Encypt to remove these from account?

Please Help.

2 Likes

Hi @dmull

your question says, you didn't read the link shared in the error message.

There is your complete answer.

2 Likes

The error log states the exact same thing. This does not answer my question. There are certs for cloud.eecoips.com that I would like to get rid of as I do not have access to this VM anymore as it got deleted. I would like to remove these from Let's Encrypt servers, not from my server as they are already gone.

1 Like

Hello @dmull
If you have deleted your VM, and the certificates (including) private certificate(s) have also been deleted your done. Nothing left to worry about.
Certificates are host specific (yours weren't wildcard certs).
Your host is gone now so the certs dont matter AT ALL.
Lets Encrypt couldn't do anything with them even if they had copies. (and I don't believe they do).
Someone will correct me if I am wrong, or possibly provide a better explanation.
Good Luck

2 Likes

I think I understand. Perhaps best option is to wait until I can renew it. The VM I have is working great with other Let's encrypt certs so I am sure it will be fine.

Thanks for all the replies!

1 Like

In the future, please read the complete error message, including any links in it. The rate limit documentation page clearly states that what you were asking initially, isn't possible.

Also, in the future, please be more careful with the precious resources of Let's Encrypt. While the certificates might be free for you, it costs Let's Encrypt a considerable amount of money to make this happen! And more certificates being issued, means more costs for all the infrastructure. By carelessly deleting your VM without backing up the certificates, you're wasting Let's Encrypt resources. Hence the rate limits and hence no possibility to reset them.

3 Likes

I assume that you meant "private keys" here. You are absolutely right though. I made an animated explanation of this a while back (mostly oriented around understanding revocation). :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.