General questions

I have some problems setting up certificates, but before I ask a specific question, I have a several general ones:

Background:
I use a fritz-box 7390 router behind a cable modem.

Behind this fritz-box there are both two raspberry pies (one of them running owncloud) and a Synology NAS.

I have set up a myfritz-account named vi_xxx.myfritz.net (with xxx being a longer string), for it to be accessable from outside.

1. I understand that there is no possibility to get a Letsencrypt certificate for the vi_xxx.myfritz.net-domain, for there are restrictions as to the number of certificates in a domain and “myfritz.net” is already used by too many (naturally). Is that correct?

2. I therefore have set up a domain via the “Domain Offensive” (do.de): koerber-escheburg.de which is also dynmic via do.de’s “flexDNS” service. For this I’d like to a certificate from Letsencrypt.

3. In order to access my owncloud and my synology etc., do I need separate certificates, or can I use one for “koerber-escheburg.de” and install it on the different systems?

4. The synology brings an assistant for letsencrypt-certificates. Can I use that and afterwards export and import the certificate into the owncloud as well? They seem to use different formats, though.

5. I have tried to set up a certificate via the raspberry for the owncloud, but do always experience great difficulties. First of all, the system hangs for a long time at “installing python”. Is that normal?

Please fill out the fields below so we can help you better.

My domain is: koerber-escheburg.de

I ran this command:

It produced this output:

My web server is (include version): There are several. On the raspberry, it is nginx. The Synonoly has a different one.

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version):

My hosting provider, if applicable, is:

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don’t know): yes, to the raspberry running owncloud

I’m using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel):

myfritz.net is on the Public Suffix List, so the rate limits should not be a problem for you.

Many certificates are issued every day, though i haven't checked how many of them are renewals of previous certificates.

It's your choice. The rate limits allow you to issue a number of certificates for the same domain.

You could create one certificate, and copy it to all of your devices. Automating this might be tricky.

You could have each device run its own Let's Encrypt client and issue its own certificate. Automating this might be tricky. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

You mean certbot-auto's "Installing Python packages" stage? Yes, that will probably take a while on a slow computer. It might even fail due to insufficient memory.

certbot-auto may not be a good choice. If there's a Certbot package in the repository, that might be better. Or you could use a different client with a more lightweight installation process.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.