Failed authorization procedure: connection reset by peer

Hey all - this is my first time setting up a server with Let's Encrypt. I am using the nginx plugin on Ubuntu. Earlier I was getting a timeout error, but then realized I had to open up port 443. Once I did so, I am seeing the following response when I run "sudo certbot --nginx"

Failed authorization procedure. maxbox.us.to (tls-sni-01): urn:acme:error:connection :: The server could not connect to the client to verify the domain :: Connection reset by peer

I have a feeling there are some additional steps I need to take to set up Nginx, which I don't know about/am missing. I added a listen key for my server configuration

listen 443 ssl default_server;
listen [::]:443 ssl default_server;

but that's all I've changed with my server configuration.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

This is often easier to troubleshoot if you provide your actual URL instead of a placeholder. This is a connectivity issue, and the ability to see what you are actually serving on 443 is helpful to those assisting you.

In nginx logs I see:

2017/07/24 19:31:48 [error] 5208#5208: *9 no "ssl_certificate" is defined in server listening on SSL port while SSL handshaking, client: 64.78.xxx.xx, server: 0.0.0.0:443

So I am definitely missing the ssl_certificate piece of my server config. Do I have to set this up manually? Should certbot be doing it?

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.