Expiry Bot Email Incorrect?

3 days ago, I updated one of my certificates. I added a subdomain/webroot combo. Right now it seems to be working just fine, and has 87 days left.

Yet I just received an email from Let’s Encrypt’s Expiry Bot, telling me this certificate will expire in 20 days.

Is this just the expiry bot being really outdated with it’s records, or might there be some real issue with my certificate?

It’s the cert for whatsmyip.org

Hi @l008com, :wave:

This is the reason that you received a certificate expiration email and it's a very common source of confusion :slight_smile: The "update" created a new, separate certificate. It isn't a renewal of the previous one because the set of names differ.

We explain this in more detail on the expiration emails documentation page:

We consider a certificate to be renewed if there is a newer certificate with the exact same set of names, regardless of which account created it. If you’ve issued a new certificate that adds or removes a name relative to your old certificate, you will get expiration email about your old certificate. If you check the certificate currently running on your website, and it shows the correct date, no further action is needed.

Just a small misunderstanding :slight_smile: If the certificate being served by your webserver has the correct names/validity period you can safely ignore the expiration warning you received.

Hope that helps!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.