Error: many certificates already issued

I use your service letsencrypt with docker image:

jrcs/letsencrypt-nginx-proxy-companion

And my domain was blocked by letsencrypt, because by my mistake i generated certificates 2 times over the last days

Below I give the logs of my container, if necessary:
2020-10-08 08:33:27,124:INFO:simp_le:1450: Generating new certificate private key
ACME server returned an error: urn:ietf:params:acme:error:rateLimited :: There were too many requests of a given type :: Error creating new order :: too many certificates already issued for exact set of domains:mydomain.com.. see https://letsencrypt.org/docs/rate-limits/

**What should I do? **
How long should I wait for unlocking?

2 Likes

Could you perhaps be able to say why you didn't find the answer to your question in the link embedded in the error message? Perhaps the text isn't clear enough and does it need extra clarification.

2 Likes

If you’ve hit a rate limit, we don’t have a way to temporarily reset it. You’ll need to wait until the rate limit expires after a week.

wait one week ...?

2 Likes

Indeed, it's a "sliding window" of one week. When the fifth certificate is outside the window, you can again get a certificate.

3 Likes

Without you having answered the questions in the help template, we have no idea as to what command you used to get the certificate, no idea of your domain name (so it can't be checked). If you have created a certificate successfully, and continued to do so until you hit the limit, you can either use one of the certificates you've successfully created, or you can wait the 7 days from the date and time of the first certificate you created. However, if the process you're using in not installing the certificate once it's created, you're just going to continue creating certs over and over. The certificate has to be installed if it wasn't because of the way it was created.
Short version: More information is needed (help template) to give you fast and accurate help. :wink:

7 Likes

Use one of the five identical certificates you created within the past week?

6 Likes

Yep! If you can still get ahold of one of the 5 certificates that you already created for that exact set of domains, that is the way to go! This is not a rate limit we can increase from our end.

Another popular work-around is if you request a cert with www. in front of it - the CA will treat it as a different request.

I hope this helps!

Best,
JP

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.