Error creating new cert Acme error ‘rateLimited’

Please fill out the fields below so we can help you better. Note: you must provide your domain name to get help. Domain names for issued certificates are all made public in Certificate Transparency logs (e.g. https://crt.sh/?q=example.com), so withholding your domain name here does not increase secrecy, but only makes it harder for us to provide help.

My domain is: bilgiuzmani.com

I ran this command:
issuing certificate

It produced this output:
There was a problem processing your request

Error issuing certificate
Failed to issue certificate
Error during certificate generation: acme error ‘rateLimited’: Error creating new cert :: too many certificates already issued for exact set of domains: www.tasarimimarlik.com.tr , www.bilgiuzmani.com . com,www.eokulzamani.com

My web server is (include version):

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version):
CENTOS 7.4 vmware [sentinus]
mysql 10.2.9-MariaDB up
named 9.9.4-RedHat-9.9.4-51.el7(ExtendedSupportVersion)

My hosting provider, if applicable, is:

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don’t know):
I don’t know

I’m using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel):
cpanel whm

@_az, I’m seeing these certificates as having been issued by the cPanel CA and not by Let’s Encrypt. But the error reported was an ACME error. Is the cPanel CA issuance also using ACME under the hood?

@eokulzamani, do you know for sure that this was attempting to issue a certificate using Let’s Encrypt and not using the cPanel certificate authority?

CT logs are probably just lagging behind. I can confirm this error message comes from our third-party cPanel plugin and that only support Let's Encrypt as an ACME server. The most likely explanation is that the end-user has rapidly issued the same certificate 5 times in a row.

This may also be a problem that that they are running nginx in front of their httpd server and it isn't picking up when an SSL virtualhost is updated in cPanel (nginx needs to re-distill its configuration and reload).

In any case, it seems like an integration issue, and the user may email us for help about it off-forum.

Edit 2018-04-28: It's my opinion that the posted error message is not real. If OP can post a screenshot of it and the main Let's Encrypt UI, that would be great.

+1 @eokulzamani Can you please share more information about your configuration and the certificate generation options you used in the cPanel interface?

I'm fairly convinced this is an error from another CA running an ACME implementation... Maybe even Boulder since the error text matches exactly!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.