Email certificate expiration notice for domain

My domain is: mindmystery.nl

I ran this command:

It produced this output:

My web server is (include version):

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version):

My hosting provider, if applicable, is:

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don't know):I don't know

I'm using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel): Plesk

The version of my client is (e.g. output of certbot --version or certbot-auto --version if you're using Certbot):

Hi, I recently got an email that soon the certificate for domain: mindmystery.nl will be expired:

Your certificate (or certificates) for the names listed below will expire in 9 days (on 17 Dec 21 01:13 +0000). Please make sure to renew your certificate before then, or visitors to your web site will encounter errors.

However, when I go to Plesk, which uses letsencrypt, I see valid to February 16, 2022:

I didn't do anything manual, and as you can see in Plesk the certificate will be automatically renewed.

Also in chrome developer tools: Security tab, I see certificate valid from 12-11-2021 - 10-2-2022

Everything looks okay, am I missing something? Can I ignore the email, if so, why did I recieve it?

Hi @rvo and welcome to the LE community forum :slight_smile:

Yes, you are.

Probably, yes.

Did you read the email?

Did you look at your certificate history?
I guess not.
Well, here it is:

As you can see, two of the certs have been renewed.
But one of them (without the "www") will be expiring soon - and is the reason for the email.

4 Likes

Thanks alot for your reply.

Are you using https://crt.sh/ so see the certificate history?

All I have to find out now is why the certificate without the www is not automatically renewed, and how to do this in Plesk I assume?

Thanks again

1 Like

Yes:
crt.sh | mindmystery.nl

Probably because it was issued initially when the site was setup.
Before you added the "www" to the site name.
Once you reissued the cert with both names on it, the single named cert was discarded.
But LE has no possible way of knowing if it is in use or not - thus the email warning about it.

Plesk is likely configured properly.
If you can reach your site securely via both names (with and without the "www"), then you don't need that initial cert and don't need to do anything to your site.

3 Likes

That makes sense, thanks alot for your explanation and keep up the good work!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.