Domain certificate expiring

I keep getting my certificate will expire for my DDNS domain name that I have been using for many years on my Synology Nas. Its a synology.me domain thats free with the NAS.
The doamin is 1000000% connected & in use in the NAS DNS settings.. Synology customer service also confirmed that the domain is all goo..
so why am i still getting emails from a company i even dont know that has anything to do with my domain/synology.

What emails are you getting, and for what domain name specifically?

2 Likes

Afternoon, its from a Bot from lets encrypt. I have attached a screenshot of the email..
the domain is my leopardpagan.synology.me one i have been using for yeeeeaaarrrrssss....

Thanks LP

1 Like

Ok, Your certificate expires in 24 hours.

What does your NAS interface say about the certificate? I assume it's been trying (and failing) to renew it.

3 Likes

Ok, Your certificate expires in 24 hours.

What does your NAS interface say about the certificate? I assume it's been trying (and failing) to renew it.

Look for the settings specific to the certificate or the acme client.

1 Like

Where do I find that on a synology?
Thanks

1 Like

I don't know. Depending on your model, you might be able to find some manual online.

1 Like

As far as I know, we never deal with the certificates. Just put the info in the box in the NAS & click connect.
synology has the certificates as they issue the user with the domain. I can’t access those

This is the first time in 12 ? Years I’ve ever seen your company mention anything to do with my NAS.

I don't know about this. If you get the emails it means you have the private key.

Check if your router is forwarding port 80 to your nas.

2 Likes

yes it is, but no key is there.
just port number direct to nas.
my router picks up the nas automatically as somewhere you can point ports to.
Again.. something that has been in place for many, many years......
never had an email from you till now

Something changed. Did you change internet provider? House router? Check the actual port forwarding.

Many years how many? (Is it still using acme-v01?)

1 Like

I changed the HD for a SSHDin the nas 2-3 months ago that needed a fresh install on Synology OS.
Same ISP 4 years
Same nas 4 years & prev to this one I’ve had 4 before it.
I did just check port forwarding port 80 direct to the nas that’s been set up for 4 years.

Also just removed & reconnected the synology.me domain (again)
While it was off, I DID see your company mentioned. That synology would share my info with you.

That was probably what caused it to go wrong. You first got a Let's Encrypt cert in Oct 2020 and renewed it every 2 months after which is the usual pattern. Your last good cert was on Dec4 so should have renewed early Feb but did not. That is why it is now expiring.

This does not help you resolve the error. Perhaps seeing this history will help you understand better what happened with your certs

2 Likes

wouldnt surprise me, i lost some good features when I updated to the newest OS
How do i access certs on your company as mentioned before.. i never needed to do any of this before.
cheers

You needed to do something to obtain Let's Encrypt certs. You should repeat whatever you did in Oct of 2020. I realize it is long ago but you are more familiar with your Synology NAS than we would be.

You might get better assistance on a Synology support forum. Here is another topic in this forum that will help decipher their (poor) documentation.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.