Does Network Solutions allow Let's Encrypt SSL for free?

Please fill out the fields below so we can help you better. Note: you must provide your domain name to get help. Domain names for issued certificates are all made public in Certificate Transparency logs (e.g. https://crt.sh/?q=example.com), so withholding your domain name here does not increase secrecy, but only makes it harder for us to provide help.

My domain is: NoneYet

I ran this command: None

It produced this output: None

My web server is (include version):

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version):

My hosting provider, if applicable, is:

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don't know):

I'm using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel):

The version of my client is (e.g. output of certbot --version or certbot-auto --version if you're using Certbot):

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I'm new to SSL. When I called Network Solutions, and asked if they support SSL certificates from other sources (they sell their own), the customer service rep told me "You can get SSL certificates through other sites, but even if you use Let's Encrypt, we will still charge you $59.99 to install it on the server. I asked is it possible for me to install it, if I figured it out, and she said "No, our engineers need to install files to get it to work, so we will charge you $59.99 no matter what." So I figured I would ask here, if anyone knew if that was true, or she was just trying to sell me their brand of SSL. Any ideas?

2 Likes

I got one: Find another hosting service provider.

6 Likes

Welcome to the Let's Encrypt Community, John :slightly_smiling_face:

They're charging you for their effort/inconvenience of installing Let's Encrypt certificates, which are free.

5 Likes

Again, sorry if this is dumb, but is it possible for me to install the certificates, and change whatever settings, or is this something that they have to do behind the scenes?

2 Likes

That would depend entirely on the type of hosting plan you chose.
If you have root access to the system, then you can do anything.
If you are on a shared hosting plan, then you are at the mercy of the menu options on the control panel OR the admin (which in this case seems to charge a flat fee $59.99 minimum for any work done).

4 Likes

Hi @JohnF

only your hoster knows that.

1 Like

Probably not, but it's going to depend on the details of the control panel/hosting plan you have available to you. As @rg305 says, seriously consider a less user-hostile hosting provider--there are lots of them out there who handle Let's Encrypt SSL certs for free.

8 Likes

Thank you all for your input. I will definitely consider a different hosting provider. Thanks again.

5 Likes

It's (almost) 2021: Some things should just be included.

Oh! You wanted air in those tires?!?!
No, no ,no - so sorry. But that's an extra charge.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.