DNS secondary validation failed

Greetings All!

I am trying to generate an SSL cert for a Nextcloud server and keep running into this DNS issue. My domain is hosted with Google, and I am using their Dynamic DNS to keep my A record updated (which is working correctly). Pingdom (dnscheck.pingdom.com) does not report any errors with this record. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Please fill out the fields below so we can help you better. Note: you must provide your domain name to get help. Domain names for issued certificates are all made public in Certificate Transparency logs (e.g. https://crt.sh/?q=example.com), so withholding your domain name here does not increase secrecy, but only makes it harder for us to provide help.

My domain is:

I ran this command:
certbot certonly -a webroot -w /usr/local/www/nextcloud -d cloud.bickersfamily.com

It produced this output:
Saving debug log to /var/log/letsencrypt/letsencrypt.log
Plugins selected: Authenticator webroot, Installer None
Obtaining a new certificate
Performing the following challenges:
http-01 challenge for cloud.bickersfamily.com
Using the webroot path /usr/local/www/nextcloud for all unmatched domains.
Waiting for verification…
Challenge failed for domain cloud.bickersfamily.com
http-01 challenge for cloud.bickersfamily.com
Cleaning up challenges
Some challenges have failed.


My web server is (include version):

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version):
FreeBSD 11.3-RELEASE-p7 (running as a Nextcloud jail on FreeNAS 11.3-U1)

My hosting provider, if applicable, is:
Myself, home-based FreeNAS server

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don’t know):

I’m using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel):

The version of my client is (e.g. output of certbot --version or certbot-auto --version if you’re using Certbot):
certbot 1.3.0

I’m having the same issue.

https://letsdebug.net/ says it’s tied to the current planned maintenance window.

Hi @acropolis


Same problem.

and your same incorrect advice! Woohoo!

I was able to finally get a cert issued. Looks like it was the planned maintenance after all. Thanks for all of the input. :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.