DNS name does not have enough labels On Centos 7

The request message was malformed :: Error creating new authz :: DNS name does not have enough labels
I have IPS forums system already installed in the folder

But each time I want to create
certbot certonly --webroot -w /srv/htdocs/domainforlder -d domainforlder

Giving me the error on the top

I’m running centos 7.2 on my server.

Thanks

Hi @amyk,

-d is supposed to be used with the public domain name that you want the certificate to be issued for

Also when I use the whole domain name I get this

**Failed authorization procedure. forums.com (http-01): urn:acme:error:unauthorized :: The client lacks sufficient authorization :: Invalid response from http://forums.com/.well-known/acme-challenge/0JHVPXp_dIcOo87DHYMP-xN4kufmIETBpOEkVyUzJ4A: "Sorry, we could not find that!

<!--[if lt IE 9]>
                    <link "

Please fill out the fields below so we can help you better. Note: you must provide your domain name to get help. Domain names for issued certificates are all made public in Certificate Transparency logs (e.g. crt.sh | example.com), so withholding your domain name here does not increase secrecy, but only makes it harder for us to provide help.

My domain is:

I ran this command:

It produced this output:

My web server is (include version):

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version):

My hosting provider, if applicable, is:

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don't know):

I'm using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel):

Hi,

It seems that your script is makeing an universal redirect (redirect all not existed files to an error page…) that make let’s encrypt can’t find the verification file.

You could try the webroot to bypass the redirection.
Use certbot -webroot ( then specify a path inside your html folder)

Thank you

I don’t have html folder.

The correct form needs two hyphens (certbot --webroot ) but this appears to be what @amyk is already using.

@amyk, are you sure that your server is configured to directly serve static files out of the directory that you're specifying with -w?

Yes. it is. I’m 100% sure that is right file

Is your real domain name forums.com? Can you create a file http://forums.com/test.txt?

Obtaining a new certificate
An unexpected error occurred:
The request message was malformed :: Error creating new authz :: DNS name does not have enough labels
Please see the logfiles in /var/log/letsencrypt for more details.

No it wasn’t my real domain name but I post it up there.

What’s your real domain name?

Great, could you create a file at http://www.nsaneforums.com/test.txt?

done I created that text

Great, where did you put it on your system?

In the same folder I have the site files at what kind question is that?

srv/domainfolder

I think it’s important to know the exact path because in your first post you referred to domainforlder rather than domainfolder. These single-character typos aren’t innocuous to a computer and could be a reason that a certificate doesn’t get issued.

You also said it was /srv/htdocs/domainforlder in your first post but you mentioned srv/domainfolder (without htdocs) in your most recent post.

I said that as an example and the real error msg is

(Y)es/(N)o: n
Obtaining a new certificate
An unexpected error occurred:
Please see the logfiles in /var/log/letsencrypt for more details.

So, if it’s /srv/htdocs/domainfolder, then please run

certbot certonly --webroot -w /srv/htdocs/domainfolder -d www.nsaneforums.com

If it’s /srv/domainfolder, then please run

certbot certonly --webroot -w /srv/domainfolder -d www.nsaneforums.com

ps -ef | grep certb

I’m using this to see if it is running or not but I don’t see the cartbot working.

Only I see
root 13006 6497 0 09:49 pts/0 00:00:00 grep --color=auto certb