DeserializationError Wrong directory fields


#1

My domain is: ovnion.com

I ran this command: nginx-gen, nginx,

It produced this output:

My operating system is (include version): ubuntu 16

hello!
It does not work anymore, Was working well

Creating/renewal debug.ovnion.com certificates… (debug.ovnion.com)
2016-12-14 16:07:13,084:INFO:simp_le:1211: Generating new account key
2016-12-14 16:07:13,172:INFO:requests.packages.urllib3.connectionpool:756: Starting new HTTPS connection (1): acme-v01.api.letsencrypt.org
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “build/bdist.linux-x86_64/egg/simp_le.py”, line 1401, in main
return main_with_exceptions(cli_args)
File “build/bdist.linux-x86_64/egg/simp_le.py”, line 1386, in main_with_exceptions
persist_new_data(args, existing_data)
File “build/bdist.linux-x86_64/egg/simp_le.py”, line 1282, in persist_new_data
client = registered_client(args, existing_data.account_key)
File “build/bdist.linux-x86_64/egg/simp_le.py”, line 1224, in registered_client
client = acme_client.Client(directory=args.server, key=key, net=net)
File “build/bdist.linux-x86_64/egg/acme/client.py”, line 63, in init
self.net.get(directory).json())
File “build/bdist.linux-x86_64/egg/acme/messages.py”, line 169, in from_json
raise jose.DeserializationError(str(error))
DeserializationError: Deserialization error: Wrong directory fields

Unhandled error has happened, traceback is above


#2

Hi @sherix88

This is an error with simpl_le's handling of the ACME protocol. We recently added a new /directory endpoint for key rollover that breaks simp_le. There are some open issues related to this on the project repository (e.g. https://github.com/kuba/simp_le/issues/118) you should consult those to find a solution that works for you. It’s my understanding simpl_le is quasi-abandoned and users have been forking & patching it themselves.

Alternatively, Certbot and most of the other ACME clients will work fine if you wish to switch.


#3

from the info above, I assume you are using the simp_le client. This client hasn’t been updated for some time I don’t think - although there is someone I believe who has taken on maintaining / upgrading it - see

It may be worth updating to that version ( or the official certbot or one of the alternate clients )


#4

thank you very much!

Solution:

alastaircoote commented 7 days ago
OK, I believe I have a fix. But I should preface this by saying that I am not well versed in either LetsEncrypt or SSL certs in general, so if I were you I wouldn’t trust me.

As mentioned in the issue I linked to, simp_le pull request #112 seems to fix the issue, but it hasn’t been merged. So I made a fork of this repo that switches to the acme-0.8 branch before it builds:

Then put that on Docker hub:

https://hub.docker.com/r/alastaircoote/docker-letsencrypt-nginx-proxy-companion/

It’s working for me. But as I say, this needs someone with more knowledge than me to look it over if you’re going to use it in a production environment or anything like that.


#5

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.