Creating Wild Card SSL in Virtualmin

My domain is: maximus-helpdesk.com

I am trying to create a Wild Card SSL certificate in Virtualmin. The _acme-challenge.maximus TXT record is setup but I do not know what to enter for the Answer (the long code). How is the Answer generated?

It produced this output:
Domain: maximus-helpdesk.com
Type: unauthorized
Detail: Incorrect TXT record
"glxNjlUXH6XMT_ZX_7SsMMmBpTQKCwMVUyvKO5y70yI" found at
_acme-challenge.maximus-helpdesk.com

A newbie question, sorry for my lack of knowledge!

My web server is (include version): Apache 2.4.38

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version): Debain 10

My hosting provider, if applicable, is:

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don't know): yes

I'm using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel): Virtualmin

The version of my client is (e.g. output of certbot --version or certbot-auto --version if you're using Certbot):

1 Like

The token is different for every authorization attempt. Usually, the token value is updated automatically by the software, in this case VirtualMin, but that requires VirtualMin to have access to your DNS zone, which might not be possible.

4 Likes

Wildcards can only work in Virtualmin if Virtualmin is managing DNS (whether that's locally or in a cloud service like Route 53 or via Cloudmin Services), since it has to update the TXT record to match what LE expects.

If you aren't managing your DNS with VIrtualmin, you'll either need to not use wildcards (which I think is generally a good practice anyway...wildcards have some security implications, and are just more annoying to deal with) or manage them using certbot directly, assuming certbot can work with your DNS provider (it has plugins for stuff like Route 53 and several other APIs).

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.