Common name/ alternative name mismatch

Please fill out the fields below so we can help you better. Note: you must provide your domain name to get help. Domain names for issued certificates are all made public in Certificate Transparency logs (e.g. https://crt.sh/?q=example.com), so withholding your domain name here does not increase secrecy, but only makes it harder for us to provide help.

My domain is:lazygranch.com

I ran this command:https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/analyze.html?d=www.lazygranch.com

It produced this output:Alternative names lazygranch.com MISMATCH

My web server is (include version):nginx 1.14.0

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version):centos 3.10.0-862.3.2.el7.x86_64

My hosting provider, if applicable, is:digital ocean

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don’t know):yes

I’m using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel):no

I issue a separate cert for lazygranch.com and www.lazygranch.com. Did something change in the last three months? Maybe subdomains are handled differently.

Hi @gariac,

Seems the thing that has changed is that your previous certificate covered 4 domains, including www.lazygranch.com and lazygranch.com and now you have issued independent certs for www.lazygranch.com and lazygranch.com so you should configure your nginx with independent server blocks pointing to the right certs.

If you issued your certs using certbot you can show the output of certbot certificates and also your nginx conf for these domains.

Cheers,
sahsanu

I have two domains and it appears both have this mismatch problem. My nginx.conf is set up for www.lazygranch.com and lazygranch.com to be in the same nginx “server”.

Here are my “live” directories:

drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 93 Mar 26 10:00 inplanesight.org
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 93 Jun  5 22:19 inplanesight.org-0001
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root  6 Mar 26 22:32 lazygranch.com
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 93 Jun  6 15:51 lazygranch.com-0001
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 93 Jun  5 22:20 www.inplanesight.org
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 93 Jun  6 16:55 www.lazygranch.com

Here is the output you suggested:

sh-4.2# certbot certificates
Saving debug log to /var/log/letsencrypt/letsencrypt.log
Renewal configuration file /etc/letsencrypt/renewal/lazygranch.com.conf produced an unexpected error: renewal config file {} is missing a required file reference. Skipping.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Found the following certs:
  Certificate Name: inplanesight.org
    Domains: inplanesight.org lazygranch.com www.inplanesight.org www.lazygranch.com
    Expiry Date: 2018-06-24 09:00:58+00:00 (VALID: 17 days)
    Certificate Path: /etc/letsencrypt/live/inplanesight.org/fullchain.pem
    Private Key Path: /etc/letsencrypt/live/inplanesight.org/privkey.pem
  Certificate Name: inplanesight.org-0001
    Domains: inplanesight.org
    Expiry Date: 2018-09-03 21:19:05+00:00 (VALID: 89 days)
    Certificate Path: /etc/letsencrypt/live/inplanesight.org-0001/fullchain.pem
    Private Key Path: /etc/letsencrypt/live/inplanesight.org-0001/privkey.pem
  Certificate Name: www.inplanesight.org
    Domains: www.inplanesight.org
    Expiry Date: 2018-09-03 21:20:12+00:00 (VALID: 89 days)
    Certificate Path: /etc/letsencrypt/live/www.inplanesight.org/fullchain.pem
    Private Key Path: /etc/letsencrypt/live/www.inplanesight.org/privkey.pem
  Certificate Name: www.lazygranch.com
    Domains: www.lazygranch.com
    Expiry Date: 2018-09-04 15:55:47+00:00 (VALID: 89 days)
    Certificate Path: /etc/letsencrypt/live/www.lazygranch.com/fullchain.pem
    Private Key Path: /etc/letsencrypt/live/www.lazygranch.com/privkey.pem
  Certificate Name: lazygranch.com-0001
    Domains: lazygranch.com
    Expiry Date: 2018-09-04 14:51:02+00:00 (VALID: 89 days)
    Certificate Path: /etc/letsencrypt/live/lazygranch.com-0001/fullchain.pem
    Private Key Path: /etc/letsencrypt/live/lazygranch.com-0001/privkey.pem

The following renewal configuration files were invalid:
  /etc/letsencrypt/renewal/lazygranch.com.conf

If there is no easy solution, I suppose I can rewrite my nginx.conf to use different servers for the main and subdomain.

Hi @gariac,

Could you please show the certbot command you issued to get the certificates?.

Also, show the output of this command:

cat /etc/letsencrypt/renewal/lazygranch.com.conf

Cheers,
sahsanu

lazygranch.com.conf is null. Here is the directory listing:

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 506 Jun  5 22:19 inplanesight.org-0001.conf
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 481 Mar 26 10:01 inplanesight.org.conf
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 496 Jun  6 15:51 lazygranch.com-0001.conf
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root   0 Jun  6 15:48 lazygranch.com.conf
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 501 Jun  5 22:20 www.inplanesight.org.conf
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 491 Jun  6 16:55 www.lazygranch.com.conf

Here is the output of www.lazygranch.com.conf:

cat www.lazygranch.com.conf
# renew_before_expiry = 30 days
version = 0.24.0
archive_dir = /etc/letsencrypt/archive/www.lazygranch.com
cert = /etc/letsencrypt/live/www.lazygranch.com/cert.pem
privkey = /etc/letsencrypt/live/www.lazygranch.com/privkey.pem
chain = /etc/letsencrypt/live/www.lazygranch.com/chain.pem                                                                                                                         
fullchain = /etc/letsencrypt/live/www.lazygranch.com/fullchain.pem                                                                                                                 

# Options used in the renewal process                                                                                                                                              
[renewalparams]                                                                                                                                                                    
authenticator = nginx                                                                                                                                                              
installer = nginx 

I left off the account number since I don’t know the security implications.

I have done all this renewals just by answering the certbot questions one at a time. I had previous used a script similar to this:

cat create_cert                                                                                                                                                            
certbot certonly --dns-digitalocean --dns-digitalocean-credentials /etc/letsencrypt/digitalocean/credentials.ini --dns-digitalocean-propagation-seconds 60  -d lazygranch.com -d www.lazygranch.com -d inplanesight.org -d www.inplanesight.org  

I had originally used a domain lazygranch.site to test out letsencrypt, but I no longer use it, hence those domains were removed from the script.

Maybe creating the certs in one command instead of individually makes a difference.

@gariac if you are using only one server block for lazygranch.com and www.lazygranch.com then you should issue your certbot command covering only those domains.

certbot certonly --dns-digitalocean --dns-digitalocean-credentials /etc/letsencrypt/digitalocean/credentials.ini --dns-digitalocean-propagation-seconds 60 -d lazygranch.com -d www.lazygranch.com --cert-name lazygranch.com

I’ve removed the other domains and added --cert-name lazygranch.com to be sure the certificates issued are using this path /etc/letsencrypt/live/lazygranch.com then you should configure your nginx to point the ssl directives to this path.

If you use this approach keep in mind that you should reload nginx every time the certificate is renewed, you can tell certbot to do this in every renewal adding the --deploy-hook param.

certbot certonly --dns-digitalocean --dns-digitalocean-credentials /etc/letsencrypt/digitalocean/credentials.ini --dns-digitalocean-propagation-seconds 60 -d lazygranch.com -d www.lazygranch.com --cert-name lazygranch.com --deploy-hook 'systemctl reload nginx'

Other option is to use nginx installer, then certbot will configure your server blocks for you and will reload nginx in every renew.

certbot -i nginx --dns-digitalocean --dns-digitalocean-credentials /etc/letsencrypt/digitalocean/credentials.ini --dns-digitalocean-propagation-seconds 60 -d lazygranch.com -d www.lazygranch.com --cert-name lazygranch.com

You should do the same with the other two domains.

Once done, and once you get it working you should remove the other certificates using certbot delete command (but first made a backup of /etc/letsencrypt/).

Cheers,
sahsanu

The digital ocean specif flags are no longer operative. I had to remove them since they were incompatible with rev 0.24 of certbot.

I changed the script (well one line command) to:

certbot certonly  -d lazygranch.com -d www.lazygranch.com 

I’m not really sure I like any of these options. I use the same certs for my email, so I don’t think the webstore is the best location. I canceled the operation. Note that I block many IP addresses, so I need the dns method.

sh-4.2# sh create_cert_lazyg 
Saving debug log to /var/log/letsencrypt/letsencrypt.log

How would you like to authenticate with the ACME CA?
1: Nginx Web Server plugin - Alpha (nginx)
2: Spin up a temporary webserver (standalone)
3: Place files in webroot directory (webroot)
Select the appropriate number [1-3] then [enter] (press 'c' to cancel):

I don't know what to say here :wink:

I don't understand it.

If you must use dns challenge then you should install certbot-dns-digitalocean plugin. As far as I known there is no package for your distribution yet so you could install it using pip3 (I don't recommend it), or you can use certbot-auto instead of the certbot packaged by your distribution and install the dns plugin for certbot-auto, you can use lexicon plugin id-rsa.pub - Easy SSL Auto-Renewal via DNS using Certbot with Lexicon or you could switch to another client like https://acme.sh that supports digital ocean dns api out of the box.

Good luck,
sahsanu

Regarding cert location, mail and web are different users, so I rather not have the cert in the webroot. In any event, I loaded acme.sh as suggested.

The Digital Ocean DNS instructions are buried, but can be found here:
https://github.com/Neilpang/acme.sh/tree/master/dnsapi
I figured I would include the link in the event someone else is reading this thread. Actually it is only two lines.

export DO_API_KEY="75310dc4ca779ac39a19f6355db573b49ce92ae126553ebd61ac3a3ae34834cc"
acme.sh --issue --dns dns_dgon -d example.com -d www.example.com

Here is the output. Note that acme.sh uses sslabs to test the cert. I have managed to block their server, so the first run failed.

I only get a B on ssllabs test. The complaint is

This server's certificate chain is incomplete. Grade capped to B.

For completeness, here is the acme output, sanitized a bit.

sh-4.2# ./acme.sh --force --issue --dns dns_dgon -d lazygranch.com -d www.lazygranch.com
[Wed Jun  6 22:16:40 UTC 2018] Registering account
[Wed Jun  6 22:16:41 UTC 2018] Registered
[Wed Jun  6 22:16:41 UTC 2018] ACCOUNT_THUMBPRINT=<redacted>
[Wed Jun  6 22:16:41 UTC 2018] Multi domain='DNS:lazygranch.com,DNS:www.lazygranch.com'
[Wed Jun  6 22:16:41 UTC 2018] Getting domain auth token for each domain
[Wed Jun  6 22:16:41 UTC 2018] Getting webroot for domain='lazygranch.com'
[Wed Jun  6 22:16:41 UTC 2018] Getting new-authz for domain='lazygranch.com'
[Wed Jun  6 22:16:42 UTC 2018] The new-authz request is ok.
[Wed Jun  6 22:16:42 UTC 2018] Getting webroot for domain='www.lazygranch.com'
[Wed Jun  6 22:16:42 UTC 2018] Getting new-authz for domain='www.lazygranch.com'
[Wed Jun  6 22:16:42 UTC 2018] The new-authz request is ok.
[Wed Jun  6 22:16:42 UTC 2018] Found domain api file: /usr/local/src/acme.sh/dnsapi/dns_dgon.sh
[Wed Jun  6 22:16:42 UTC 2018] Using digitalocean dns validation - add record
[Wed Jun  6 22:16:44 UTC 2018] Found domain api file: /usr/local/src/acme.sh/dnsapi/dns_dgon.sh
[Wed Jun  6 22:16:44 UTC 2018] Using digitalocean dns validation - add record
[Wed Jun  6 22:16:45 UTC 2018] Sleep 120 seconds for the txt records to take effect
[Wed Jun  6 22:18:46 UTC 2018] Verifying:lazygranch.com
[Wed Jun  6 22:18:49 UTC 2018] Success
[Wed Jun  6 22:18:49 UTC 2018] Verifying:www.lazygranch.com
[Wed Jun  6 22:18:52 UTC 2018] Success
[Wed Jun  6 22:18:52 UTC 2018] Removing DNS records.
[Wed Jun  6 22:18:52 UTC 2018] Using digitalocean dns validation - remove record
[Wed Jun  6 22:20:34 UTC 2018] Using digitalocean dns validation - remove record
[Wed Jun  6 22:20:36 UTC 2018] Verify finished, start to sign.
[Wed Jun  6 22:20:36 UTC 2018] Cert success.
<redacted>
-----END CERTIFICATE-----
[Wed Jun  6 22:20:36 UTC 2018] Your cert is in  /root/.acme.sh/lazygranch.com/lazygranch.com.cer 
[Wed Jun  6 22:20:36 UTC 2018] Your cert key is in  /root/.acme.sh/lazygranch.com/lazygranch.com.key 
[Wed Jun  6 22:20:37 UTC 2018] The intermediate CA cert is in  /root/.acme.sh/lazygranch.com/ca.cer 
[Wed Jun  6 22:20:37 UTC 2018] And the full chain certs is there:  /root/.acme.sh/lazygranch.com/fullchain.cer

This indicates that you configured your server using only these files

and not either of these files:

I see. Here are the old and new lines from the nginx.conf.

#   ssl_certificate /etc/letsencrypt/live/www.lazygranch.com/fullchain.pem; # managed by Certbot
#   ssl_certificate_key /etc/letsencrypt/live/www.lazygranch.com/privkey.pem; # managed by Certbot
ssl_certificate /root/.acme.sh/lazygranch.com/lazygranch.com.cer;
ssl_certificate_key /root/.acme.sh/lazygranch.com/lazygranch.com.key;

I assume I should use full chain. But specifically which two lines do I use:

[Wed Jun  6 21:57:50 UTC 2018] Your cert is in  /root/.acme.sh/lazygranch.com/lazygranch.com.cer
[Wed Jun  6 21:57:50 UTC 2018] Your cert key is in  /root/.acme.sh/lazygranch.com/lazygranch.com.key
[Wed Jun  6 21:57:51 UTC 2018] The intermediate CA cert is in  /root/.acme.sh/lazygranch.com/ca.cer
[Wed Jun  6 21:57:51 UTC 2018] And the full chain certs is there:  /root/.acme.sh/lazygranch.com/fullchain.cer

should be used in the ssl_certificate configuration directive. (It contains the contents of both lazygranch.com.cer and lazygranch.com/ca.cer in a single file.)

Nginx didn't like it when i replaced the plain cert with full cert.

Hmmh, well I found this:

ssl_certificate /etc/letsencrypt/live/www.mydomain.com/fullchain.pem;
ssl_certificate_key /etc/letsencrypt/live/www.mydomain.com/privkey.pem;
ssl_trusted_certificate /etc/letsencrypt/live/www.mydomain.com/fullchain.pem;

This gets me back to a+ on ssllabs, but does it look correct?

ssl_certificate /root/.acme.sh/lazygranch.com/fullchain.cer;
ssl_certificate_key /root/.acme.sh/lazygranch.com/lazygranch.com.key;
ssl_trusted_certificate /root/.acme.sh/lazygranch.com/fullchain.cer;

Hi @gariac,

ssl_certificate and ssl_certificate_key directives are ok.

Regarding ssl_trusted_certificate you only need this directive if you are verifying client certificates or if you have enabled the ssl_stapling directive and in this case, instead of fullchain.cer you should use ca.cer file; ssl_trusted_certificate /root/.acme.sh/lazygranch.com/ca.cer.

Cheers,
sahsanu

1 Like

Note however that acme.sh considers the ~/.acme.sh/ folder structure unstable and recommends using --install-cert to copy the files to locations that you explicitly specify. This also supports a --reloadcmd option that works like certbot’s --deploy-hook to reload your webserver etc after renewal.

I’m not really sure what the problem is regarding /root/.acme.sh/, but I will will put the certs elsewhere.

Otherwise everything is working, including email. Thanks all for your help. I will do a PSA post on the Digital Ocean community regarding using the acme.sh for centos. Once I found the info on how to feed it the token, everything was straightforward.

The problem is simply that future versions of acme.sh might use a different folder structure which could break your configuration :slight_smile:

BTW, don't move the certificates manually - use acme.sh --install-cert as described on the page I linked above. If you follow the nginx example from there, it should also automatically reload your nginx config to activate the new certificate after it auto-renews.

2 Likes

Sorry I didn't catch that—thanks for pointing that out!

1 Like

I assume I need to issue the certs again with the --install-cert for the new location. No big deal.

However I want to check with the postfix/dovecot gurus regarding how I generate the cert. Right now the mail system only uses one cert for two different domains. This is really common for hosting companies (though the VPS is just for me). Basically incoming mail doesn’t check if the domain matches the cert. But google slowly has been making the email servers they communicate with shall we say “cleaner.” Either now or soon, if you don’t pass dmarc, your mail will go to spam or perhaps be flagged as dicey. I’m sure at some point they won’t like the email domain not matching the cert domain. Apologies in advance if I don’t get the terminology correct.

Nope, just run it as a separate command, exactly as in the example :slight_smile:

I'm not a postfix/dovecot guru so I'll let someone else answer your other question.