Check if my networks are rate limited

nearly half of my requests to https://acme-v02.api.letsencrypt.org/directory ends with error "TCP connection reset by peer"

curl -s -v https://acme-v02.api.letsencrypt.org/directory > /dev/null
  * About to connect() to acme-v02.api.letsencrypt.org port 443 (#0)
  *   Trying 172.65.32.248...
  * Connected to acme-v02.api.letsencrypt.org (172.65.32.248) port 443 (#0)
  * Initializing NSS with certpath: sql:/etc/pki/nssdb
  *   CAfile: /etc/pki/tls/certs/ca-bundle.crt
    CApath: none
  * NSS error -5961 (PR_CONNECT_RESET_ERROR)
  * TCP connection reset by peer
  * Closing connection 0

Other half ends successfully.
I've tried from multiple ip addresses from networks 94.100.180.0/24, 5.61.236.0/24, there were different OS and network configurations. Look like i'm hitting some rate limit. My service do not make a lot of requests, but i can't check all other services from these networks ((
Please can you check if i was rate-limited?

A post was split to a new topic: Connectivity issues

Hi, @m.laletin,

We're not blocking or rate limiting your IP addresses, but your report looks like it's related to this problem that we're investigating: API service disruption for Russian subscribers

5 Likes

Hi, @m.laletin,

Could you please show us the output of a traceroute to acme-v02.api.letsencrypt.org? Feel free to either post it here or send it to me as a direct message.

5 Likes

We believe the network routing problem from the St. Petersburg, Russia region is now resolved. If you're still having trouble, please let us know. Thanks for your patience!

4 Likes

Thank you for your replies. Problem self-resolved next day, 6 January. Do not know what was the cause. I've should have checked traceroutes, but i didn't. My traffic was from Moscow btw.

The problem was strange. I've got TCP connection reset by peer, right after tls client hello was sended (after tcp connection was established).

I hope it will never happens again.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.