Certificate with no domain

Please fill out the fields below so we can help you better. Note: you must provide your domain name to get help. Domain names for issued certificates are all made public in Certificate Transparency logs (e.g. https://crt.sh/?q=example.com), so withholding your domain name here does not increase secrecy, but only makes it harder for us to provide help.

My domain is: none

I ran this command:
I am just trying to create a certificate for my synology NAS server but it is not on a domain. our office does not have a domain.
It produced this output:

My web server is (include version):

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version):

My hosting provider, if applicable, is:

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don’t know):

I’m using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel):

Let’s Encrypt doesn’t issue certificates for IP addresses, only for publicly available fully qualified domain names.

1 Like

If you don’t have a domain you can use, you could try any of the free name services - like: dynu.com
* * * Just be sure to pick a TLD that is included in the PSL * * *

1 Like

I am trying to follow the instructions for setting up my synology NAS in the company office. There is no server just a collection of workgroup computers in the office. We have a domain for our website that is hosted on another server. Ipage.com How do I get an SSL certificate for my NAS if I do not have a domain to list it under. I have the synology setup but I tried using what I thought was the domain name that my NAS uses for everything (i.e. getting to the DSM from the internet) but Let’s Encrtells me it is not a valid domain. Can someone please explain how I can go about getting this all straightened out? I am getting lost between all the IP addresses, port settings and everything else.

What domain is that?

If your NAS has a static Internet IP, then simply create a DNS entry in the “Ipage.com” domain zone to point to that Internet IP.
Let’s call it “nas.Ipage.com” for this example…
Once you can resolve that name to its’ Internet IP.
try:
nslookup nas.Ipage.com 8.8.8.8
You can then update the device to respond to the nas.Ipage.com name.
And lastly, issue a cert for the nas.Ipage.com name.

If the NAS doesn’t have a static Internet IP, then you would have to use a dynamic DNS service for the name and flow through the process with that name instead.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.