Certificate Failing to Renew

My Certificate has been working for several months but it is not renewing. I don't think it has ever successfully renewed.

My domain is:
rover1.mymarsrover.cloudns.cl

I ran this command:
sudo certbot renew --dry-run

It produced this output:
Saving debug log to /var/log/letsencrypt/letsencrypt.log

Processing /etc/letsencrypt/renewal/rover1.mymarsrover.cloudns.cl.conf

Cert is due for renewal, auto-renewing...
Could not choose appropriate plugin: The apache plugin is not working; there may be problems with your existing configuration.
The error was: PluginError('There has been an error in parsing the file /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/app-ssl.conf on line 37: Syntax error')
Attempting to renew cert (rover1.mymarsrover.cloudns.cl) from /etc/letsencrypt/renewal/rover1.mymarsrover.cloudns.cl.conf produced an unexpected error: The apache plugin is not working; there may be problems with your existing configuration.
The error was: PluginError('There has been an error in parsing the file /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/app-ssl.conf on line 37: Syntax error'). Skipping.
All renewal attempts failed. The following certs could not be renewed:
/etc/letsencrypt/live/rover1.mymarsrover.cloudns.cl/fullchain.pem (failure)

** DRY RUN: simulating 'certbot renew' close to cert expiry
** (The test certificates below have not been saved.)

All renewal attempts failed. The following certs could not be renewed:
/etc/letsencrypt/live/rover1.mymarsrover.cloudns.cl/fullchain.pem (failure)
** DRY RUN: simulating 'certbot renew' close to cert expiry
** (The test certificates above have not been saved.)

1 renew failure(s), 0 parse failure(s)

My web server is (include version):
pi@ROVER1:/etc/letsencrypt/renewal $ apache2 -v
Server version: Apache/2.4.38 (Raspbian)
Server built: 2020-08-25T20:08:29

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version):
(This is derived Debian family and runs on a Raspberry Pi)
Distributor ID: Raspbian
Description: Raspbian GNU/Linux 10 (buster)
Release: 10
Codename: buster

My hosting provider, if applicable, is:
N/A

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don't know):
Yes

I'm using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel):
No

The version of my client is (e.g. output of certbot --version or certbot-auto --version if you're using Certbot):

pi@ROVER1:/etc/letsencrypt/renewal $ certbot --version
certbot 0.31.0

When I run LetsDebug I receive the following error
This seems odd as the error refers to the top level domain.
cloudns.cl where my certificate applies to the sub domain.
Not sure if this is relevant or a red herring.

RateLimit

ERROR

rover1.mymarsrover.cloudns.cl is currently affected by Let's Encrypt-based rate limits (Rate Limits - Let's Encrypt). You may review certificates that have already been issued by visiting crt.sh | %cloudns.cl . Please note that it is not possible to ask for a rate limit to be manually cleared.

The 'Certificates per Registered Domain' limit (50 certificates per week that share the same Registered Domain: cloudns.cl) has been exceeded. There is no way to work around this rate limit. The next non-renewal certificate for this Registered Domain should be issuable after 2022-03-28 04:24:24 +0000 UTC (39m0s from now).

Update:
Line 37 of /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/app-ssl.conf is the very last line of the file and it appears to be blank. Nano won't let me remove the last empty line.

Check for missing quotes or unclosed blocks, missing semicolons (Apache doesn't usually need those).

1 Like

Hi 9peppe,
You picked it in one. I must have looked through this file 10 times but didn't see it.

I had missed the closing tag </ifModule>
Makes sense when you see it :slight_smile:
Thanks!
David

<IfModule mod_ssl.c>
    <VirtualHost *:443>
    </VirtualHost>
</IfModule>
2 Likes

When the error is on an empty line (the last one, even more) it's nearly always something like this. :smiley:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.