Certbot running error

Somehow my certbot installation got broken, I got the following error when running certbot:

I ran this command:

$ certbot --version

It produced this output:

An unexpected error occurred:
pkg_resources.VersionConflict: (requests 2.27.1 (/snap/certbot/2192/lib/python3.8/site-packages), Requirement.parse('requests~=2.28'))
Ask for help or search for solutions at https://community.letsencrypt.org. See the logfile /tmp/tmp4mvcnzyr/log or re-run Certbot with -v for more details.

logfile:

2022-08-19 22:45:25,674:DEBUG:urllib3.connectionpool:http://localhost:None "GET /v2/connections?snap=certbot&interface=content HTTP/1.1" 200 790
2022-08-19 22:45:26,872:DEBUG:certbot._internal.log:Exiting abnormally:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/snap/certbot/2192/bin/certbot", line 8, in <module>
    sys.exit(main())
  File "/snap/certbot/2192/lib/python3.8/site-packages/certbot/main.py", line 19, in main
    return internal_main.main(cli_args)
  File "/snap/certbot/2192/lib/python3.8/site-packages/certbot/_internal/main.py", line 1705, in main
    plugins = plugins_disco.PluginsRegistry.find_all()
  File "/snap/certbot/2192/lib/python3.8/site-packages/certbot/_internal/plugins/disco.py", line 241, in find_all
    plugin_ep = cls._load_entry_point(entry_point, plugins, with_prefix=False)
  File "/snap/certbot/2192/lib/python3.8/site-packages/certbot/_internal/plugins/disco.py", line 261, in _load_entry_point
    plugin_ep = PluginEntryPoint(entry_point, with_prefix)
  File "/snap/certbot/2192/lib/python3.8/site-packages/certbot/_internal/plugins/disco.py", line 60, in __init__
    self.plugin_cls: Type[interfaces.Plugin] = entry_point.load()
  File "/snap/certbot/2192/lib/python3.8/site-packages/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 2457, in load
    self.require(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/snap/certbot/2192/lib/python3.8/site-packages/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 2480, in require
    items = working_set.resolve(reqs, env, installer, extras=self.extras)
  File "/snap/certbot/2192/lib/python3.8/site-packages/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 788, in resolve
    raise VersionConflict(dist, req).with_context(dependent_req)
pkg_resources.VersionConflict: (requests 2.27.1 (/snap/certbot/2192/lib/python3.8/site-packages), Requirement.parse('requests~=2.28'))
2022-08-19 22:45:26,872:ERROR:certbot._internal.log:An unexpected error occurred:
2022-08-19 22:45:26,872:ERROR:certbot._internal.log:pkg_resources.VersionConflict: (requests 2.27.1 (/snap/certbot/2192/lib/python3.8/site-packages), Requirement.parse('requests~=2.28'))

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version):
ubuntu 20.04.

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don't know):
yes

I haven't changed anything on the system, maybe an auto update.
I don't know exactly when the problem occurred, anyway the last successful cert update was in June.

How can I solve the issue?

Hello @malof22542, welcome to the Let's Encrypt community. :slightly_smiling_face:

Please fill out the fields below so we can help you better. Note: you must provide your domain name to get help. Domain names for issued certificates are all made public in Certificate Transparency logs (e.g. crt.sh | example.com), so withholding your domain name here does not increase secrecy, but only makes it harder for us to provide help.

My domain is:

I ran this command:

It produced this output:

My web server is (include version):

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version):

My hosting provider, if applicable, is:

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don't know):

I'm using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel):

The version of my client is (e.g. output of certbot --version or certbot-auto --version if you're using Certbot):

Thank you for assisting us in helping YOU!

2 Likes

Thank you Bruce5051, I edited the first post with the applicable fields.
Domain, web server, hosting and other info are not applicable and not related with the issue.

2 Likes

Difficult to say without knowing exactly what broke it.
I'd, nonetheless, try uninstalling certbot (all installs) and then reinstall it via instructions at:

3 Likes

@certbot-devs Weird error if you ask me! Shouldn't the certbot snap come bundled with its own requests?

3 Likes

This could be an issue with a snapped plugin, possibly. Right now I don't know how the Certbot snap on its own would be behaving like this.

What's the full output of:

snap list
4 Likes

I don't know if it's possible, but it would be helpful if Certbots trace would include the name of the module which throws this dependency error. Could such a thing be build, perhaps by catching the exception somewhere?

3 Likes

Ok, maybe I found the the fault plugin.

I made a fresh install and everything worked successful, then I installed certbot-dns-duckdns plugin (also via snap) and the error appeared again.

1 Like

Did you follow the duckdns plug-in instructions here:

3 Likes

Yes, followed the instructions and after executing:

sudo snap connect certbot:plugin certbot-dns-duckdns

certbot stop working with the dependency conflict error reported in the first post.

1 Like

Hmm. That was my only idea :slight_smile:

You might try asking on the github for duckdns. Or, maybe even on the github for certbot. Hopefully _az (a certbot dev) who posted earlier will have insight or even another volunteer here. The githubs will draw in a wider audience for this strange error.

3 Likes

Could be as simple as follows:

Although I don't have enough knowledge of snap and/or the exact method of Certbot for their dependencies in the snap, it might be a reason why your snap is complaining, if your certbot-dns-duckdns plugin is version 1.0.

Is it possible to downgrade your certbot-dns-duckdns plugin to version 0.9 with snap?

4 Likes

I've opened Relax `requests` version requirement to avoid crashing Certbot snap · Issue #117 · infinityofspace/certbot_dns_duckdns · GitHub. I think Dependabot's suggestions are a bit too aggressive for Certbot plugins.

5 Likes

I've already requested easing up the compatible release clause of the packages dependency on requests in the past due to Python errors outside snap because Gentoo didn't package a certain older version of requests any longer.

I guess snap is a little bit more picky even.

3 Likes

The new version 1.1 of certbot-dns-duckdns plugin has fixed the issue.
Thank you very much for the assistance

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.