Certbot Nginx fail reload

Please fill out the fields below so we can help you better. Note: you must provide your domain name to get help. Domain names for issued certificates are all made public in Certificate Transparency logs (e.g. https://crt.sh/?q=example.com), so withholding your domain name here does not increase secrecy, but only makes it harder for us to provide help.

My domain is: mp-elbrus.com

I ran this command: certbot renew --dry-run

It produced this output: nginx: [error] open() “/run/nginx.pid” failed (2: No such file or directory)

My web server is (include version): nginx 1.18.0

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version): Ubuntu 20.04

My hosting provider, if applicable, is: Timeweb

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don’t know): yes

I’m using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel): no

The version of my client is (e.g. output of certbot --version or certbot-auto --version if you’re using Certbot): certbot 1.7.0

Hi @devcustrom

there is a certificate, created 2020-08-13, valid and installed.

So there is not really a problem visible.

The problem is in re-issuing certificates and because nginx is not starting correctly

If you have that error

looks like your nginx config is buggy. So fix it. But that's not a certificate problem.

And --dry-run doesn't install the certificate and doesn't restart something. Because it's an invalid test certificate.

So if you run an additional script, it's the problem of your script, not of your certificate creation.

Check whether your configuration is valid:

sudo nginx -t

If it's valid, that means the server is probably just not running. Is this an ordinary nginx installation, or are you using something like Bitnami/ServerPilot?

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.