Certbot and related packages held back on Ubuntu

So on an Ubuntu machine I’m using the official certbot ppa but out of date (cerbot 0.19.x). I noticed when doing sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade that I had a message that “certbot” and several related packages were being held back. I had to specifically sudo apt-get install certbot and then several packages were uninstalled and replaced with python3 versions.

@bmw @hlieberman Is there a known reason why Certbot would be “held back”? That might inhibit upgrades.

1 Like

They’ll be held back for the upgrade from python2 to python3. You can fix it with an sudo apt full-upgrade.

3 Likes

To make sure I understand correctly: The Certbot 0.20+ packages depend on the python3 package instead of python2?

1 Like

That’s right! In addition, the names of the certbot python packages
themselves changed over, and the dependencies changed. (To the python3
versions.)

Well it seems that apt-get full-upgrade is similar if not equal to apt-get dist-upgrade

full-upgrade performs the function of upgrade but will remove currently installed packages if this is needed to upgrade the system as a whole.

So you say that forcing the update using apt-get install will fail or cause problems?

python -V
Python 2.7.12

I don't want to upgrade my whole system right now.

Kind Regards

I think what i did (sudo apt-get install certbot) and what was suggested (sudo apt-get full-upgrade) will generally have the same results. The system ‘python’ is still Python 2.7 and Python 3 is installed as ‘python3’ , so it won’t mess up scripts that expect 2.7 for ‘python’ .

So long as you don’t run Ubuntu’s do-release-upgrade then you’ll stay on the same Ubuntu version.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.