Cert Renewal Has Stopped Working

I have had renewal working for over a year now, but recently it has stopped. I did replace my router/firewall with a UDM Pro, and I was thinking that had to be the culprit, but even with setting routing/firewall rules that will allow ALL traffic to 80 and 443 to my nginx reverse proxy server where the certs live I can't seem to get the renewal to work.

My domain is:
os.gravelords.us
bw.gravelords.us

I ran this command:
sudo certbot renew

It produced this output:

Processing /etc/letsencrypt/renewal/bw.gravelords.us.conf

Renewing an existing certificate for bw.gravelords.us

Certbot failed to authenticate some domains (authenticator: nginx). The Certificate Authority reported these problems:
Domain: bw.gravelords.us
Type: connection
Detail: 50.124.46.72: Fetching http://bw.gravelords.us/.well-known/acme-challenge/kF0yu0szBvxf9qvXio6-JKFCrkGCmedhXPbv9n-NRzQ: Timeout during connect (likely firewall problem)

Hint: The Certificate Authority failed to verify the temporary nginx configuration changes made by Certbot. Ensure the listed domains point to this nginx server and that it is accessible from the internet.

Failed to renew certificate bw.gravelords.us with error: Some challenges have failed.

Processing /etc/letsencrypt/renewal/os.gravelords.us.conf

Renewing an existing certificate for os.gravelords.us

Certbot failed to authenticate some domains (authenticator: nginx). The Certificate Authority reported these problems:
Domain: os.gravelords.us
Type: connection
Detail: 50.124.46.72: Fetching http://os.gravelords.us/.well-known/acme-challenge/RWyt4OEV-g_2p_Pd9idcrNigABBOKUctIkLnZPwy5OY: Timeout during connect (likely firewall problem)

Hint: The Certificate Authority failed to verify the temporary nginx configuration changes made by Certbot. Ensure the listed domains point to this nginx server and that it is accessible from the internet.

My web server is (include version):
nginx 1.18.0

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version):
Ubuntu Server 22.04.3 LTS (jammy)

My hosting provider, if applicable, is:

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don't know):
Yes

I'm using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel):
No

The version of my client is (e.g. output of certbot --version or certbot-auto --version if you're using Certbot):
certbot 2.8.0

Well, whatever you've changed still doesn't allow connections from the Internet to your server. Just like the error messages say, attempts to connect from the Internet time out, which is likely a firewall problem. (Possible that it's your ISP blocking connections or the like, but if it broke after you changed your firewall then that's certainly the first place to look.)

Make sure you're testing from outside of your network, using a proxy or mobile connection or the like.

3 Likes

Oh my word... figured it out lol. These sites were working before the cert expired, so I was so confused why they were working but couldn't renew the cert... it was a mistyped port number on the routing! Fixed it so the port forward was 80 and then it started working.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.