Cant renew certificate

Hi can some one helm mi with that trouble?
i try to renew cetrificate and get that problem (down below) i am new at this thing, and see new topic about it but i dont get it, where i new config fire wall or some thing
My domain is: 161tower.agroexpert2007.ru

I ran this command:

certbot --force-renewal

It produced this output:

Challenge failed for domain 161tower.agroexpert2007.ru
http-01 challenge for 161tower.agroexpert2007.ru
Cleaning up challenges
Some challenges have failed.

IMPORTANT NOTES:

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version):
ubuntu server 20.04
My hosting provider, if applicable, is:

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don't know):
i think yes
I'm using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel):

The version of my client is (e.g. output of certbot --version or certbot-auto --version if you're using Certbot):

i just dont get it there a problem is in my virual machine (firewall) my router (firewall) or problen at dns server there my info about domain placed

It seems like there may be geo filter on Jino's nameservers. I would suggest trying again, and if it doesn't work still, let Jino's support know. Possibly send them this link:

4 Likes

thank you for light speed answer, i send ticket to jino.ru and hope he say me some info, you sure it may be it? at log of error i am not sure 100% there error is, because dns checker see my dns (a name) just right, and i fear mb its in my side problem

1 Like

Emphasis mine. This bit suggests, that those additional “remote perspectives” couldn't query an authoritative DNS server for your domain. Those perspectives query NS servers directly. So a dns checker you used may work just fine, but this checker may simply be in a place, that is not blocked by Jino.

3 Likes

i think i jot you, thank you for help be on my watch for jino and mb for new forum hero :slight_smile:

3 Likes

On a separate note: please don't use this option. It does not suddenly it magically cause a failing authorisation attempt work. (Which would be BAD for the web PKI if people could force isuance for domains they didn't own.)

4 Likes

its work just fine like 2 years, but sudenly stop working, what command can I use instead?

The --force-renewal option is rarely usefull. When improperly used, it can cause hitting rate limits.

Your issue is most likely not your command, but an issue with your DNS as previously mentioned. I just wanted to warn you not to use the --force-renewal option.

4 Likes

There is nothing you can add to the default command to forcibly fix something that is broken.
Whatever is broken must be fixed for it to work.

5 Likes

jino.ru said that everything works for them and it's not their problem, what can i try to do?

They can create me a certificate (renew normally) but i dont know how to use it cuz my mailserver placed at my server, not on they hosting

I'm seeing a consistent timeout from the U.S. when trying to do the DNS lookup over IPv6 (not IPv4), specifically to Jino's nameserver ns2.jino.ru (2001:1bb0:e000:1e::917). I don't see this failure with any other Jino nameserver, or when querying over IPv4.

It's possible that this specific nameserver is misconfigured, but that nobody normally sees a problem with it. The Let's Encrypt secondary validation does many more lookups (preferring IPv6 instead of IPv4) from many more locations, compared to an ordinary human Internet user, and doesn't retry in response to certain kinds of failures, which is different from most ordinary operating systems!

4 Likes

thank you for help, and somehow you can try to renew the certificate only via ipv4?

1 Like

I repeated that many times and got the same problem quite consistently, again, only with ns2.jino.ru (no other nameserver) and only with IPv6 (not IPv4).

In nslookup it looks like this (always):

> server ns2.jino.ru
Default server: ns2.jino.ru
Address: 2001:1bb0:e000:1e::917#53
Default server: ns2.jino.ru
Address: 195.161.62.86#53
> set type=soa
> jino.ru
;; communications error to 2001:1bb0:e000:1e::917#53: timed out

nslookup then attempts to do the same lookup using ns2.jino.ru's IPv4 address (195.161.62.86) and that succeeds. But I don't think the Let's Encrypt validation servers would be willing to retry after that kind of failure.

2 Likes

Nope, the Let's Encrypt validation servers are looking at your site from several different places around the world, using a very "stringent" or "paranoid" configuration, in the sense that they will return a failure in response to a fairly wide range of timeout or protocol errors, even when other software would retry in that situation.

Do you think you could convince Jiro that there might be a problem with this specific nameserver? It might be an outage or a typographical error in the IPv6 address of that server, rather than a geographic restriction, maybe?

3 Likes

i send it to them and hope they try do some about it, but no high hopes :slight_smile:

If not, you could consider trying to use a different DNS host. Your DNS host does not necessarily have to be the same organization as your web host (unless that is a policy requirement from your web host for some reason).

3 Likes