Blackboard SSL configuration using Lets Encrypt

Hi

I have created an EC2 instance in AWS using "Blackboard Learn for REST and LTI Developers" AMI (3900.0.0).

I am trying to set up an SSL for my instance and mapped the domain name to the instance IP.

I am following this article (Developer AMI) to set up an SSL but it is not working. This part looks ok but its the next step that seems to be the problem.

Congratulations, all simulated renewals succeeded:
/etc/letsencrypt/live/studentdashboard.3utilities.com/fullchain.pem (success)

1. SSH to your EC2 instance and create a file containing your FQDN from freeddns.no-ip.com and your email address and save to /home/ubuntu/my_ssl_config. The format of this file is important and should follow the example below. The file contains only two lines specifying the key and value pairs used to configure the Let’s Encrypt process, e.g.:
 ssldomain : devmen.hopto.org
  sslemail : developers@blackboard.com

Is there a particular file name used or file extension for the file saved in /home/ubuntu/my_ssl_config

Thank You.

My domain is: studentdashboard.3utilities.com

My web server is (include version): Blackboard Learn for REST and LTI Developers" AMI (3900.0.0).

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version):

My hosting provider, if applicable, is: AWS

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes):

I'm using a control panel to manage my site (no):

The version of my client is (e.g. output of certbot --version or certbot-auto --version if you're using Certbot):

certbot 1.17.0

I found this online:
https://help.blackboard.com/Learn/Administrator/Hosting/Install_or_Upgrade_Learn/Post_Install_and_Upgrade_Tasks/Optional_-_TLS_Configuration

But in all honesty, I would much rather put this behind an nginx proxy than go through those many steps every 60 days.

thanks,, I will have a look at this. its a temporary project. If it works we can move to full production server.

1 Like

Make sure your solution includes automation - or you will just be creating more work for someone.

This article doesnt mention any of this.. Developer AMI it just says to go here and add this. but it doesnt say what the file type is etc..

1. SSH to your EC2 instance and create a file containing your FQDN from freeddns.no-ip.com and your email address and save to /home/ubuntu/my_ssl_config. The format of this file is important and should follow the example below. The file contains only two lines specifying the key and value pairs used to configure the Let’s Encrypt process, e.g.:
 ssldomain : devmen.hopto.org
  sslemail : developers@blackboard.com

Are you new to Linux?

What are the questions you need answered?

Yes.. very new.. is there a specific name for this file or does it have a file type or extension or do I have to change permissions on it

The file name requested is:
/home/ubuntu/my_ssl_config
[you may have to build the path if /home/ubuntu doesn't exist]
The file type is... plain text?
The file extension is: none

That doc makes no mention of required file ownership or access permission changes.

ok. that makes sense.. I assumed the /my_ssl_config was a directory.. so I can create this file in nano and just save it?

I would think so.
First try (as root user):
ls -l /home/ubuntu
[do you see a my_ssl_config file or directory there now?]

no file.. I created it in nano and saved it as my_ssl_config

1 Like

then reboot

It didnt work .. but I wiped the old instance and will try with a clean install where I havent broken anything.

worked thank you!! really appreciated!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.