Automatic Let's Encrypt Renewal Failure

I have multiple domains on multiple reseller accounts, and they're failing renewal (this never happened in the past). This is the email I'm receiving:

Automatic Let's Encrypt renewal for WEBSITEURL.com was attempted and failed.
This certificate expires on 2018-04-10 06:10:24 -0400 EDT.

Unable to renew certificate: The Let's Encrypt HTTP challenge failed: acme error 'urn:acme:error:unauthorized': Invalid response from http://WEBSITEURL.com/.well-known/acme-challenge/UnIque_ID: "

Captcha <link rel="stylesheet" "

Please contact your web host for more information on how to fix this issue.

Using the cPanel Let's Encrypt Plugin also fails, giving the following result:

There was a problem processing your request**

Error issuing certificate
Failed to issue certificate
The Let's Encrypt HTTP challenge failed: acme error 'urn:acme:error:unauthorized': Invalid response from http://WEBSITEURL.com/.well-known/acme-challenge/UnIque_ID: " Captcha <link rel="stylesheet"

My web server/OS: LiteSpeed + LSCache (CloudLinux) - Apache 2.4.29

I can login to a root shell on my machine: No

I'm using a control panel to manage my site: Yes. cPanel Version 68.0 (build 30)

Notes: Yes, I can access a test file publicly if I go to websiteurl.com/.well-known/acme-challenge/test.txt
I also tried the .htaccess addition of RewriteRule ^.well-known - [L] with no affect.

Thanks,
Josh

Hey,

I am having the same issue. Here is the thread that I have open: Unable to renew certificate "The client lacks sufficient authorization"

Thanks for the response. It’s not exactly the same though. I’m not using CloudFlare on any of the domains in question, and the errors aren’t the same either. Maybe similar problems relating to a bug in LE?

The mention of “Captcha” suggests that it’s likely either you or your hosting provider have installed some sort of anti-bot plugin that is preventing the Let’s Encrypt validation bot from accessing your server. Is that possible?

2 Likes

Interesting point, I’ll ask.

Thanks,
Josh

Good catch on the Captcha thing. It was Immunify360 blocking it. Without it, it works.

Thanks!
Josh

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.