Attribute Error when setting up cerbot for WordPress website being hosted free on Google Cloud Platform

Hi, I was using the instructions I found here to set up WordPress Website with SSL for free on Google Cloud from this article: Host a WordPress Website with SSL for free on Google Cloud | by Ariel Filotti | Zencore Engineering | Medium

I've tried everything. I'd really appreciate any help!

Please fill out the fields below so we can help you better. Note: you must provide your domain name to get help. Domain names for issued certificates are all made public in Certificate Transparency logs (e.g. crt.sh | example.com), so withholding your domain name here does not increase secrecy, but only makes it harder for us to provide help.

My domain is: consulta.work

I ran this command: sudo apt install certbot python3-certbot-apache
sudo certbot --apache

It produced this output: Please enter the domain name(s) you would like on your certificate (comma and/or space separated) (Enter 'c' to cancel): consulta.work www.consulta.work
Requesting a certificate for consulta.work and www.consulta.work
An unexpected error occurred:
AttributeError: can't set attribute
Ask for help or search for solutions at https://community.letsencrypt.org. See the logfile /var/log/letsencrypt/letsencrypt.log or re-run Certbot with -v for more details.

My web server is (include version): Apache/2.4.57

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version): Debian 12

My hosting provider, if applicable, is: Google Cloud Platform

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don't know): Yes. Through SSH in the Google Cloud Platform VM Instance

I'm using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel): No

The version of my client is (e.g. output of certbot --version or certbot-auto --version if you're using Certbot): certbot 2.1.0

Please upgrade to the latest Certbot using snap (or alternatively if you don't want snap, use pip from within a Python virtual environment), see Certbot Instructions | Certbot for more info.

The bug in Certbot 2.1.0 is "eating" the actual problem. The log should provide more details though.

3 Likes

Hi Osiris, I'm a bit new to coding, could you kindly add what command lines I need to execute to complete your suggestion, please?

Thank you!

1 Like

You can find those command lines on the website I linked above.

I opened the link you sent, however, they only have up to Debian 10 not Debian 12 - would the instructions still be the same?

Yes, same for 12 as 10

2 Likes

Hi MikeMcQ, thank you! I followed the instructions to install snapd and then reran the command:
sudo certbot --apache
and I'm still getting the Attribute Error, am I missing something?

1 Like

I think you missed a step from the instructions and that the older version is still running.

Show this output

Certbot --version

4 Likes

This is what I've tried:

Sigh.. The list of Debian versions is apparently also lagging behind some 2,5 years.. I've opened an issue on the Certbot website repository, but a similar issue for Ubuntu is open for almost 2 years now.. So I'm not expecting much.

3 Likes

@MikeMcQ sorry for the long list of screenshots, just wanted you to see everything I tried between your last suggestion and now.

2 Likes

The snapcraft website docs are also lagging. They only explicitly mention 9 and 10 :frowning:

From other posts in this forum I am confident it works on 12 though

4 Likes

Screenshots are very hard to parse data from.

You will provide better information by copying and pasting the relevant lines of text into your post.

Place console output between three backticks on the line before and after. Example follows.

```
Your lines of console output
Will display as
```

Your lines of console output 
Will display as
3 Likes

I did not see sudo apt remove certbot in your screenshot collection. It is certainly possible that I missed it, though. Did you uninstall the previous version of certbot that was installed with apt?

2 Likes

Hi @linkp I had to step away from my desk for an appointment and now I'm back. Unforuntately my SSH timed out and I had to refresh so, I'm starting from scratch, but yes, I had removed the previous certbot

Thanks for confirming. In your last screenshot, you appear to have exceeded the rate limit. It's best to test in staging to avoid encountering rate limits while debugging.

2 Likes