Are multi-domain SSL certificates a problem?

I host all of my websites on the same shared hosting environment by an international web hosting company.
It's a typical LAMP-Cpanel shared web hosting environment and includes an SSL certification tool that the web hosting provider company develop and maintain by itself.

Most domains are .com and were registered by the international web hosting provider company, but one domain is .co.il and was registered by an Israeli company.

I have bought from the international web hosting provider a multi-domain SSL certificate covering all of my domains, both the .com ones and the .co.il one.

Generally speaking I find everything to work just fine and I don't encounter any "Your website is not secured" errors.

But I'd still like to ask, primarily for general knowledge:
Are multi-domain SSL certificates a problem?

• Can it cause a problem with any specific web browser?
  • Can it cause some SEO problem?

Nope.

Not usually, but it depends on how you configure it.

:crystal_ball:

5 Likes

I misunderstand the crystal ball about the SEO part :laughing:

That's what it is, a crystal ball. The answer is in there.

4 Likes

You might want to ask that question in a more appropriate forum [about SEO].

Most of that is "secret sauce".
I guess that literally every change can cause some SEO difference.
Can/should the names on a cert be considered in SEO?
I would hope not, but, again, that is up to the one doing the crawling/evaluation and they don't usually tell you everything they do/how/why.

4 Likes

you paid money for a SSL certificate?

can you elaborate as to why you didn't use a free option?

did they upsell you to an OV/EV certificate or something? (kinda pointless considering even Amazon uses a DV certificate, so do most banks)

1 Like

"Are multi-domain SSL certificates a problem?"

Extrapolating the possible from that title:
Are multi-domain SSL certificates a problem to obtain/renew from LE?
No.
LE certs can hold up to 100 names [each of which can be an FQDN or a wildcard entry].

And, again, all LE certs are free.

3 Likes

Before using this shared hosting I used VPS hosting with root access in SSH and installed a Let's Encrypt SSL certificate for each website myself with Certbot.

After moving to shared hosting I bought the multi domain SSL certificate because I thought that because I no longer have root access in SSH, I can no longer install gratis Let's Encrypt SSL certificates.

Recently this month I have learned about the existence of CertSage for users SSHing without root access. I might use it in the future, albeit, I don't consider myself a professional sysadmin or information security expert and would like a team of professional sysadmins and information security experts to install and configure SSL certificates and their CNAME redirects for me.
If paying 30$ a year would give me that peace of mind it might be worth it. My mind is still not set on this issue.

If I recall correctly the product I bought covers five web domains; in case of a sixth domain, I should probably try to certify it with CertSage just for the try, at least.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.