About LetsEncrypt Certs and SubDomains

This is just a - I hope! - a simple question. The Let’s Encrypt docs are a bit…confusing.

IF we have a Cert with wildcards for out main domain: deadeasyapps.com
how many subdomains like: site1.deadeasyapps.com site2.deadeasyapps.com
can we have total that will be protected by the Cert for the main site?

(we won’t be adding all the domains at once - over space of 2 months, but could be as many as 200)

Thanks

Joe

My domain is: deadeasyapps.com
I ran this command: not a command a questiob
The operating system my web server runs on is (include version):Centos 7
My hosting provider, if applicable, is:dedicated
I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don’t know):yes
I’m using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel):
Plesk Obsidian

Unlimited. That's the whole idea of the wildcard. You'd have to request a certificate for your base domain name (not entirely required, but recommended) and the wildcard hostname *.deadeasyapps.com. And every single-label subdomain would be valid under that wildcard hostname. (I.e., foo.deadeasyapps.com and bar.deadeasyapps.com would be valid, but www.foo.deadeasyapps.com and www.bar.deadeasyapps.com would not. That's just how wildcard certificates are allowed to work. And no, `..deadeasyapps.com isn't permitted too.)

Thanks.
We assign Certs on or dedicated server for all our base domains and wildcard,
using the Letsencrypt extension for plesk, but had a weird error (Plesk has a habit of that at times LOL) that linked to a Let’s Encrypt doc that was confusing, referred to a limit of 100 sub-domains, but I think that had something to do with Cert requests. As I said, it was a bit obscure. :slight_smile:
Joe

There is a limit of 100 hostnames per certificate. Not subdomains per se. This because otherwise certificates would become too large in byte size.

But a wildcard hostname only counts as just one hostname included in the certificate.

It could however of course be that your Plesk extension doesn't actually use a wildcard hostname?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.