403 error in Home Assistant add-on

Please fill out the fields below so we can help you better. Note: you must provide your domain name to get help. Domain names for issued certificates are all made public in Certificate Transparency logs (e.g. crt.sh | example.com), so withholding your domain name here does not increase secrecy, but only makes it harder for us to provide help.

My domain is: ko0y.org

I ran this command: Let's encrypt add-on to Home Assistant

It produced this output: error 403

My web server is (include version): hass.io

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version):

My hosting provider, if applicable, is:

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don't know): yes

I'm using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel): no

The version of my client is (e.g. output of certbot --version or certbot-auto --version if you're using Certbot):

I have a static ip and domain registered in Google domains. I have a port forwarded in my router and can access HA externally with HTTP. I installed the Let’s Encrypt add-on with this configuration:

then I used google to create the credentials file. I renamed that file google.json and copied it to the share folder in HA. then I started the add-on, and got this error in the log:

s6-rc: info: service s6rc-oneshot-runner: starting
s6-rc: info: service s6rc-oneshot-runner successfully started
s6-rc: info: service fix-attrs: starting
s6-rc: info: service fix-attrs successfully started
s6-rc: info: service legacy-cont-init: starting
cont-init: info: running /etc/cont-init.d/file-structure.sh
cont-init: info: /etc/cont-init.d/file-structure.sh exited 0
s6-rc: info: service legacy-cont-init successfully started
s6-rc: info: service legacy-services: starting
services-up: info: copying legacy longrun lets-encrypt (no readiness notification)
s6-rc: info: service legacy-services successfully started
[17:14:06] INFO: Selected DNS Provider: dns-google
[17:14:06] INFO: Use propagation seconds: 60
Saving debug log to /var/log/letsencrypt/letsencrypt.log
Requesting a certificate for *.ko0y.org
Encountered 403 Forbidden with reason "forbidden"
Encountered 403 Forbidden with reason "forbidden"
Error finding zone. Skipping cleanup.
Encountered error finding managed zone: <HttpError 403 when requesting https://dns.googleapis.com/dns/v1/projects/verdant-petal-381321/managedZones?dnsName=ko0y.org.&alt=json returned "Forbidden". Details: "[{'message': 'Forbidden', 'domain': 'global', 'reason': 'forbidden'}]">
Ask for help or search for solutions at https://community.letsencrypt.org. See the logfile /var/log/letsencrypt/letsencrypt.log or re-run Certbot with -v for more details.
s6-rc: info: service legacy-services: stopping
s6-rc: info: service legacy-services successfully stopped
s6-rc: info: service legacy-cont-init: stopping
s6-rc: info: service legacy-cont-init successfully stopped
s6-rc: info: service fix-attrs: stopping
s6-rc: info: service fix-attrs successfully stopped
s6-rc: info: service s6rc-oneshot-runner: stopping
s6-rc: info: service s6rc-oneshot-runner successfully stopped

I've missed something here but have little idea what it is. Any help is appreciated.

Hi @modernhistorian, and welcome to the LE community forum :slight_smile:

I don't think that add-on was written by LE, nor is supported by this forum.

1 Like

Home Assistant also has its own community forum here https://community.home-assistant.io/

2 Likes

Maybe I am pointing out the obvious but the Home Assistant client is trying to update your google cloud DNS records and failing.

A DNS Challenge is required when trying to get a wildcard cert.

This DNS failure isn't really a Let's Encrypt issue. It's with the Home Assistant client interacting with google DNS. You might try, well, googling that error or as Bruce suggested a Home Assistant forum. Or, maybe searching this forum as there are some threads dealing with Home Assistant. Maybe a prior thread also ran into this google DNS problem.

3 Likes

Q#1: Do you need a wildcard cert?
Q#2: Why are you including the domain "home-assistant.io" in the cert?

3 Likes

Let’s Encrypt offers Domain Validation (DV) certificates.

Thus you need to own and have control over the Domain Name (or have a subdomain under an existing domain name, for example pointed to your server by your employer or school) you wish to obtain a certificate for, from an ICANN Accredited Registrar.

For Let’s Encrypt to issue a Domain Validation (DV) certificate Domain Validation must happen
and it is a CA/Browser Forum Baseline Requirement.

1 Like

As an aside you can install Tailscale in home assistant then use that for remote access (on phones etc). That way there's no direct public access to your instance.

2 Likes

Thanks for the many replies. I followed all the suggested links, some of which led first to the HA community then back to this one! I tried out several approaches on the google cloud DNS site, to no avail. Finally, I went to the site referenced in the error, https://dns.googleapis.com/dns/v1/projects/verdant-petal-381321/managedZones?dnsName=ko0y.org.&alt=json and got a 401 error. I went to the page that error referenced, Integrating Google Sign-In into your web app  |  Authentication  |  Google Developers and learned that JavaScript is being deprecated as a sign-in method. That may explain why the add-on doesn't work. I have reported this as a bug to the HA developers. Thanks again .

1 Like

The addon is just certbot with a GUI to invoke it

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.