Windows Git installation and run letsencrypt-auto

Hello!

I don’t understand how to install ssl let’s encrypt. I use windows10 and i installed Git and tried to run letsencrypt-auto after installation, and there is this kind of error message!

$ ./letsencrypt-auto
"sudo" is not available, will use “su” for installation steps…
grep: /etc/os-release: No such file or directory
grep: /etc/issue: No such file or directory
Sorry, I don’t know how to bootstrap Let’s Encrypt on your operating system!
You will need to bootstrap, configure virtualenv, and run a pip install manually
Please see https://letsencrypt.readthedocs.org/en/latest/contributing.html#prerequisites
for more info
Cannot find any Pythons… please install one!
./letsencrypt-auto: line 103: [: line: integer expression expected
./letsencrypt-auto: line 105: [: line: integer expression expected
Creating virtual environment…
./letsencrypt-auto: line 166: virtualenv: command not found

Thanks!

Laurent

The default client doesn’t work under Windows at the present time. There’s a Powershell based tool available by a third-party. Check the list of client implementations for some options.

1 Like

So for example letsencrypt-win-simple would apply if I enable IIS on my Win10 PC, generated the certs locally and then uploaded to my web host (Apache 2.2.31)?

You shouldn’t need IIS on the system if you’re going to upload the verification file on a different server. Only the server you are verifying needs a web service on it.

That’s what I thought, but when I use Git Bash to clone letsencrypt and then try th run letsencrypt-auto, I get the “I don’t know how to bootstrap…” message. I’ve downloaded and installed Python on my Win10 PC but I’m still working through the virtualenv and pip install steps. Are these instructions documented anywhere?

I highly recommend not using the official reference client on Windows at the present time. It doesn’t work well there. Use one of the other client implementations.

I see. Is there any particular implementation you’d recommend that’s working best?

I haven’t used any of the Windows clients, but I have read good things about the Powershell cmdlet.