Windows 10 Java error: cert.pem does not exist

Yes, it can simplify things and save money too.

Hello. If your main concern consists in running an application server using Java, please note that I have a fully documented script and a tutorial to use Certbot under Linux with Jetty and there are a very few things to modify to make it work with Wildfly and Tomcat. If you're really stuck for Windows, it won't be worth a look to be honest. As some other people suggested, putting Tomcat behind Apache, Nginx or a load balancer supported by Certbot might be a lot easier but you'll still have to understand the Tomcat specific settings.

1 Like

Thanks gouessej for the input. I'm considering my options right now. I'm slowly getting to the point that reading the Tomcat documentation makes sense. I've never set up a Linux box so sticking with Windows is the path of least resistance. Nginx is moving to the forefront of my options, based on recommendations here that it will be easier to set up. With a family vacation coming up, I don't anticipate making progress for the next couple of weeks. I've got a contact that may be knowledgeable on building a Linux box. Perhaps he would provide some help but moving to Linux would entail quite a learning curve for me, a retired IT manager. FYI, I'm creating a database of historical documents for our local historical society using ResCarta, an open source application that drops into Tomcat.

1 Like

You're welcome. My tutorial is here and the script is here. I hope it helps and anyway, some notions help to avoid some pitfalls even under other operating systems.

1 Like

Wandering slightly off topic I run a service (as a hobby) that has 28GB of images and it costs about $0.84 per month on AWS using their S3 file storage service, you do get charged for data transfer though, so for my service that's $20 a month depending on how many GB of data visitors consume. This particular service also has an API for apps/services to use and that part costs about $60 for the 3 servers and another $5 to proxy/cache/load balance it through Cloudflare workers. It's serving over 9 million queries per month.

So, linux servers are much cheaper than windows servers but administration can take some getting used to, in general storing data is cheap, serving data is expensive,. For light use services it's not a big deal, but for heavy use data transfer costs do start to mount up quickly. The benefit of storing files in something like S3 is there is no backup to worry about, and you can never run out of space.

1 Like

I have an appointment with AWS. My database is presently 12 GB but ultimately, it could grow as large as 1.5 Terabytes if I choose to put the entire newspaper archive online. The images and are mainly of local interest so I don't anticipate a whole lot of data transfer. It will be interesting to see if there is an affordable plan. I may have to pay for some tech support to get up and running on AWS under Linux.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.