Which tool s running community.letsencrypt.org site?

Which tool s running community.letsencrypt.org site?

It’s open source forum software called Discourse, generously hosted for us by the makers of said software.

3 Likes

I hope that's the only reason why discourse makers have mod and/or admin rights in here...

Actually, some Discourse staff (particularly the ever-helpful @riking) helped us do moderation and admin tasks during the early setup. They are more familiar with the software and have more experience shepherding healthy communities with it than we do, so their contributions have been very welcome.

1 Like

Yes, the developers have admin rights on every hosted site.

The forum is hosted at free or reduced cost because that’s Discourse’s policy towards open source projects that the company relies on. (Discourse is not quite using LE yet, but it’s in the works :wink: )

1 Like

I meant that I hope that the hosting is the ONLY reason they have admin, because if they had admin in any discourse I might want to install then I’d rather not.
it would be rather creepy.

Ah yes, of course :slight_smile:

I find it interesting that you merely agree with @My1 and abstain from making any assertion or denial that the devs do not have admin access to such instances not hosted by Discourse.

Why can’t people just flat out state something clearly and unambiguously? Being in the business of communications I’d think you / Discourse would grasp the importance and be able to do that.

well maybe @riking isnt from discourse but just read the “discourse ppl have access on forums hosted on their servers” somewhere…

@jsha post seems to indicates that @riking is Discourse staff.

oh yeah I dont really remember all names…

I find it interesting that you merely agree with @My1 and abstain from making any assertion or denial that the devs do not have admin access to such instances not hosted by Discourse.

Please, no need to be that guy. Discourse code is there if you want to review it.

yeah but not everyone understands all the languages, I also just thought wtf when I saw that half the client is written in ruby, so that probably means you cannot put discourse on your favorite webhoster, like any other PHP based forum like WBB or phpBB or whatever…

@randy: I appreciate your contributions in general, but “get a life” is inappropriate here. Please be respectful to fellow forum members, especially when you disagree with them.

All: It sounds like @My1 is speculating that self-hosted instances of Discourse have a backdoor for Discourse staff. I don’t think there’s any basis for such speculation. However, if you believe that to be the case I would encourage you to take it to the Discourse Meta forums instead. It’s off-topic for this forum.

I don't think @My1 was speculating but rather asking specifically about this fourm. In the course of responses it was pointed out that Discourse does for fourms they host. But @riking response was ambiguous regarding Discourse fourms hosted elsewhere.

What people don't say is frequently just as important or even more important than what they do say.

You should probably have a STAFF badge then, that’s visible in all posts.

2 Likes

Okay, I just set that title on me.

3 Likes

well when a post was editied by some user, all he said was that he was from dirscourse so he has all rights in here and that’s the reason for it. and when somebody says because he made the software he can do something of course you might think of a backdoor.