Using Wildcard Certificate on Different Server

My domain is:example.com

I have followed steps from this page (except Nginx part) to get a certificate for *.example.com and configure it for dev.example.com on Ubuntu with Apache2 web server. Now, I would like to do the same for another subdomain on different machine.

What is the process to do that and how will renewal process work with multiple machines.

Current Setup: One EC2 machine with Ubuntu 18.04 & Apache2 to run dev.example.com

Future Setup: Two EC2 machine with Ubuntu 18.04 & Apache2 to run dev.example.com & portal.example.com

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version): Ubuntu 18.04

My hosting provider, if applicable, is: AWS/EC2

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don’t know): Yes

The version of my client is (e.g. output of certbot --version or certbot-auto --version if you’re using Certbot): certbot 0.31.0

1 Like

If you planned well and make sure it doesn't exceed the rate limit (the weekly limit for duplicate and overall), you can request one certificate for each one of the servers.
Renewal is automatic, so you probably don't need to worry that part (as long as all certificate and AWS credential are correct)

1 Like

Thank you for your reply, as far as I understand I can follow the same steps on other machine, right?

I thought I would need to use the same certificate on different machines.

1 Like

You can indeed use the old certificate, you’ll just need to figure out a way to copy the files around and keep them updated (which might be hard).
If you have relatively few servers, you could definitely use a fresh certificate per server.

Thank you

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.